40s era Republic Serials Robot

My 40s era murderous robot from Republic Serials. It was reused several times but I saw it first in ‘The Mysterious Dr. Satan’, which was originally going to be a Superman serial but the rights were not obtained, so we got ‘the copperhead’ instead. Apparently this guy was revived on a Star Trek holodeck as well (though it looked like it was probably a homage, not reusing the actual costume). I may try to animate it at some point, but until then, here’s a rigged and posed verison.

This was definitely NOT a rivet counting exercise, in fact, in some of the reference, I even saw some wingnuts on the body to aide in getting the costume on the actor easily. I was just trying to the ‘feel’ of the robot, and did some things to sweeten the model a bit, with a little bit of bow tie distortion on the body, and pushing out some of the panels a bit more so they read better. Also, I think the flexible joints were actually metallic hose ducting, but I like the contrast of a rubberized material a bit better. Modeled in Blender, textured in Substance Painter.

Sketchfab Version

4 Likes