48/2(9+3)=? Blender CG

Ugg! You might be right, Daren. THIS is why I became an English Major.
In English, it’s ALL about understanding and obeying arbitrary rules of grammar and sentence structure.
And, especially in poetry, one gets to play with punctuation and stretch the whole thing to find the limits of signal and noise.
Here, I would have been crying to the professor after class.
Yeah, it does completely matter how the parenthesis is used, when it’s written this way. Is it a bug? Did the prof “forget” to use parenthesis, or is this simply a “trick” question?
Not being a programmer, I would wonder if a computer programmer would ever use an expression like this, or would it be commented out in some way? Is this a case of “bad grammar” in math?
Again, not a programmer.
At any rate, doesn’t multiply come before divide in PEMDAS?
(I feel like I’m having a Charlie Brown moment here…)

its which ever one comes first multiplication or division you read it from left to right i think thats where most people mess up and i was taught expressions just like this

48/2(9+3) you do 9+3 then you do 48/2 because it comes before multiplying when your reading it from left to right then multiply 24 by 12

i think your island is floating xD

Well, the point I was making is that it is generally considered good practice to be precise by using(or overusing if necessary) parenthesis to avoid possible confusion. I was taught order of operations in elementary school, I was taught to make it unnecessary through abundance of parenthesis in my CSc classes in college.

48/2(9+3)

What syntax should that be?

Yeah, it’s definitely floating NOW!
Hmm. I should have spruced up the beach more, I guess, to make it clear that the island isn’t floating. Or something. As you can see, the water has so much surface tension that Global Warming can’t mess with that island. It’s where I go when basic math is too confusing for me. :slight_smile:
And this video is also a perfect illustration of my ABSOLUTE HATE for mathematical expressions such as these. You see, I used to get so hung up about ratios that they became a sort of mental glitch. I just see a div bar, and suddenly my brain switches into a whole parallel universe where the sky is falling, the stuff on top is incredibly heavy, and I have to concentrate on everything on the bottom to make sure it can hold up the weight.
In the end, I just hop into my ginormous starship and GTFO at FTL!
(I’ll do the BA community a HUGE favor, and refrain from posting my new Hitler parody vid…)

lollololol

what you mean this video

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/2/2d/Trollface_HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png

Oh, gawd…
BTW: I’m actually working on Part 2 this morning, and I’m having a little trouble with some of the translations…
So, in fact, I actually appreciate this thread. It gives me a good excuse to procrastinate :slight_smile:

do u need any help on your sci-fi film i could help with all your math stuff XP

Oh boy better delete this thread lol.
It’s 2.

Ever heared of distributive property?

Proof you say?

2(x+y) == (2x+2y)
48/2(9+3) == 48/(29+23) == 48/2(12)

More proof?
x = 2 48/x(9+3) = 288
48/(9x+3x) = 288
48/12x = 288
4/x = 288
4/288 = x
x = 0.013888
x isn’t really 2 anymore is it?

Even more proof?
y = (9+3) 48/2y = 288
48 = 288*2y
48/288 = 2y
48/288 = 2(9+3)
48/288 = 24
Not looking good there either.

No left to right, no handstand and right to left, no PEMDAS, or other Voodoo, obey Algebra, it’s the law :slight_smile:

In this case the distributive property:

Maybe some on the modeling a little, just due to time constraints. I’m actually trying to get someone to finish up a huge space station. Math is not a problem, I just use bricks in BGE. Makes me feel like the few months I spent taking Computer Science classes were not completely wasted…

Holy crap! THANKS AREXMA!
So I’ll now start to work on my newest upcoming animation titled:
“Don’t worry, YOU DON’T COMPLETELY SUCK AT MATH, CHARLIE BROWN!!!”

im going to go find a hole and die in it i have no reason to live

i bet if i ask my teacher this she would say 288

Actually I made a serious mistake in the prior post.

2*(x+y) is not (x+y)²
Thats obviously crap lol.
2*(10+10) obviously is (210+210) and not ((210)(2*10))
/facepalm/

I edited it out, as it changes nothing with the distributive property, but flaws part of the explaination and logic.

LOL! Relax.

yes i think we are getting censored idk where it went lol i could help on the space station if u want

ok does any one know where i can go and learn math im in the 11th grade they dont teach algebra any more im screwed