608 - Bearing (Update)

I have been using Blender for a couple of years but this is the first time I have posted anything.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.burke2/rab3d/gallery/608cutaway13a.png

I am interested in using Blender for model engineering as well as art and have put together a tutorial on modelling with precision based on this Bearing.

Hope its of use.

Update - rendered with more light following Claws comments and calibrating my monitor.

My site: www.rab3d.com

looks great and your tutorial is fantastic, very clear and concise. Hope to see more of your work in the future.

Really nice and clean model, however I think it’s a bit underlit :slight_smile:

Very nice man, I don’t know why but I find many mechanical things beautiful you know? All mechanical parts are beautiful in their own way. And this is really good first post.

Your right I have just checked the image on my sons computer it’s much darker than on mine, the monitors auto adjust sets the contrast way to high.

www.rab3d.com

Awesome work - very well done.

I really liked your tutorial, got a lot of useful info from that :cool:

:spin: :spin: WOW!!! That’s just cool!!! :spin: :spin:

The tutorial is one of the best Blender tutorials I’ve ever seen! I think you should seriously consider making it into a book! (Yes I’m serious!) :yes:

WOW!! Nicely done…excellent…

And your tutorial of the bearing is so detailed…I would suggest posting this tutorial for new users…since it covers most of the hotkeys…downloaded all of them…thanks

Wow, is all I can say.
One crit on your tutorial about the bearing:
You don’t mention the view you use in the steps (at least not on the first page).
If you can change that, at least I would be thankfull.

Thanks for all the positive comments, I’m hoping to build on the tutorials as I develop my CNC project. Constructive crit’s are welcome if it makes the tutorials easier for a new user.

ChevyVanDudeG20
On Part 1 the view is set in the paragraph just above the screen grab of the Transform properties window, I have reinforced the view direction where the first Plane is added.

Thanks
Rob

Wow that a great bearing.Im a big skate boarder and it is good to see something i use everyday day.Keep up the good work. I’ll check your tutorial later.Im off to play halo3.

wow. well done.

I just have one thing to say: can I recommend to you a copy of autodesk inventor? :wink:

I’d bet I could whip out everything you did in a tenth of the time in inventor. I wish blender had better cad tools, but you see to get along just fine without them!

verry accurate and detailed moddeling.

autodesk inventor =5200$ blender=0. All verry nice progs but just impossible to legaly own for a hobby.

Whoah! Great tutorial! Any possiblity of a PDF version?

I have got Solidworks and Autocad at work but at £5000 + £1000 a year to keep it updated. I just can’t justify having it at home. I would have to raid the kid’s university fund to buy it and I don’t think they would be too happy.

Thanks again for your comments.

50nlt
I am still only at the early stages of learning blender and I have got years of learning ahead. I just wouldn’t know where to start with a book? But thanks!

see, the university fund is the key! just make sure one kid is an engineer and you can likely snag a copy of solidworks or inventor for “home use” for free or a very reduced price! I am a student and I love this free stuff they give us.

AMEN TO THAT. hands down the best blender tutorial i have read. clear, concise, and beautiful.

i really love to see the inside of machines and things. this contained such precise information and yeilded such satisfying results for a very simple but intricate little thing.

if you ever maybe wanted to either make a part two of this tutorial to cover the materials more specifically, or make another tutrial on another mechanical object (a watch would be AWESOME) then i would worship you as a god. no kidding. :yes:

excellent tut!! i started blender four weeks ago and was unaware of those possibilities in modeling. I´m doing cad/cam at work and was searching for a tutorial like yours. thank you so much for sharing your work!

Well done. Your experience in technical writing shines through in this tutorial. But you know that.

I learned a few important things (fixes to modeling problems I would run in to from time to time) like the single axis cursor snapping… :smiley:

Thanks, mate, for a great tutorial.