8 days until SuSE10.3

I know this will start a fight, so please do NOT make this personal

on 20 sept openSuSE10.3RC1 was released
http://news.opensuse.org/?p=305

which contains 1000s of bugfixes and inclusion of the 1-Click-install functionality

only critical bugfixes will be added after this release

what will be in 10.3 is quite impressive including KDE4+KDE4 versions of major apps like SysGuard(now uses SVG graphics) and Amarok2 by default

One major addition is Compiz Fusion by default

and on http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org it mentions that the public release of openSuSE10.3 will be on the 4th Oct :slight_smile:

so to all openSuSE users get your DVD burners at the ready because the Monsther that is openSuSE is coming :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to trying this. I’m building a new comp soon, and I’m thinking of giving suse a go.

I’m really, really not looking for an argument on this one, but I have a question. Ubuntu seems to differ from a ‘standard’ linux distro in some ways, judging by how much I have to change general linux tutorials for things to get them to work. Is SuSE different? Are there any peculiarities?

well things can be done 'traditionly" so no peruliarites

probably try it just for the sake of it, although i dislike kde, it looks like a dump. compez fusion is a complete waste of processing power, and makes the desktop look as ugly as physicly posoble

Darn, I’ve had to use Windows for so long, I didn’t realize KDE4 was almost out! I’m sure OpenSuSe is waiting for the final release of KDE4 to go out the door, and I can’t wait for that!

Well that’s a matter of opinion of course :wink: I have the KDE version of Fedora, along with compiz fusion, and I find it to be rather gorgeous. Better than the default window manager imo :slight_smile: And personally I don’t think KDE looks like a dump - I can have everything I need on one sidebar, whereas in gnome if you want a vertical sidebar for everything… Well, the text is sideways and the buttons for open windows take up half the space. Anywho, it’s good that people have the choice between window managers.

As for system performance, I’ve yet to notice any real slowdown because of compiz. Maybe it adds a percent or two to the CPU usage, but its mostly graphics card bound. Might as well make use of the card for something other than blender or games. If I’m going to do a render or something, it’s a one click action to switch back to the default Kwin window manager.

And as far as OpenSuse goes - never tried it, because of the whole Novell & MS thing, I don’t see a reason to.

Not trying to stir up an endless argument here, but I really have to wonder why only now. If you think about it, this seems fairly easy to code. Even in the DOS Ice Age you have such thing as a setup.exe/com or install.exe/com or a autoexec.bat file embedded within the application. I checked some screen samples and the default layout still has the same large, expanded text/font under the icons and menu items. If they could just use Tahoma 8 it would look more welcoming. That’s probably just my 2 cents.:spin:

I’m not a fan of compiz, but I do like KDE, and I’m very much looking forward to plasma on kde4.

Not trying to stir up an endless argument here, but I really have to wonder why only now. If you think about it, this seems fairly easy to code. Even in the DOS Ice Age you have such thing as a setup.exe/com or install.exe/com or a autoexec.bat file embedded within the application.

I would assume it’s to do with the dependencies and the general ease of installation anyway means it’s not much of a hassle. I think the 1-click thing is generally for stuff like playing MP3’s, so it’ll automatically download the correct codec for you.

IanC, you are wrong about the 1-click-install, it is you go to the suse website you look for an app you click on install, then it will call up yast to grab the app froma repository download its deps automaticcally and install it witout the hassle of adding repositories and seraching through them

Fair play, I stand corrected. Cheers :slight_smile:

Huh? KDE 4.0 barely works. And I use the word works here very loosely. I read daily people’s accounts on using subversion builds and even the most basic functionality is broken. I understand that October was going to be the ship date for 4.0, but that’s been pushed back for months because it’s not usable for most tasks. Are you sure this is correct?

check the links to see for yourself

particularly this one
http://en.opensuse.org/Screenshots/openSUSE_10.3

I read, that SuSe10.3 default KDE will be KDE3.5. Because it will be released just before KDE4.0.

Besides KDE4.0 will be flawed and have some major problems. The version I’m looking out for is KDE4.1. :slight_smile:

I just can’t wait until there’s a reasonably stable build with plasma, so I can start making some plasma apps without worrying about crashes and losing data.

It’s not got KDE4, it’s got kde4 apps.
From the site:

For openSUSE 10.3, the KDE Team is working on the base technologies of KDE 4. openSUSE 10.3 will offer by default a KDE3 desktop with single KDE4 applications.

That’s the sweet spot indeed!