9 minute short, "Rockhopper"

Made this in the past two weeks with some friends, part live action and part Blender. It’s about a penguin that comes to my school (http://www.sudval.org/ if anyone cares).

http://www.weirdhat.com/blender/penguin/penguin.mpg 19 MB

Here’s a poster sort of thingy to get you to download it:

http://www.weirdhat.com/blender/penguin/penguin.jpg

If I had more time I would have made it better, but summer vacation started today and I wanted to show it to everybody at school. It’s nowhere near perfect, but it’s fun and I enjoyed making it.

ooookkkkk… :o that was weird

pretty good compositing tho. That end fight had some good bits. not bad. I thought it got a little long.

overall, i thought the compositing was pretty good. the penguins walk could use some improvement, and his shadow went places it shouldnt (but i know thats hard to fix). Interesting story, but it needs to go to the cutting room, I think.

good job
nate

Definitely very funny and nice ideas. :slight_smile:

I like the Matrix-like “Kungfu scene” :slight_smile:

ooookkkkk… :o that was weird

Indeed.

That end fight had some good bits. not bad. I thought it got a little long.

I didn’t think it was too long. Except maybe the first minute when the penguin is just walking, and the salsa scene.

overall, i thought the compositing was pretty good.

Personally I think the compositing is the worst part of it… but hey.

the penguins walk could use some improvement,

Indeed. I didn’t have enough time to do anything better.

and his shadow went places it shouldnt (but i know thats hard to fix).

Quite. Again, I didn’t have time to fix it. See above comment about the compositing not being good.

Interesting story, but it needs to go to the cutting room, I think.

I’m not quite sure what exactly you think should be cut out. If anything it needs a couple more scenes to make the story more clear.

good job

Thank you. :slight_smile:

LOL!
Funny movie

Look the movie at 7:35 the guy cracked his pants lol…

Hehe, funny little movie :smiley: .

The compositing seems good to me (few errors though) but I don’t like the particles (looks like vomit), you should try a clouds texture with a colorband on halo mat to simulate fire.

Very good job !

Serialsiner.

luv it!! I see you made those changes on the part where penguin is climbing the wall and jumping :slight_smile: looks much better. heh.

in the ending, I almost hoped, that the guy who noticed it’s the banana that’s evil, couldn’t have resisted to try it on, and turned evil himself… heh.

nice composition, excellent music… and great acting :slight_smile: what did they think of it in school?

btw. weird school. schools I’ve been in looked more like prisons… yours is like place to have holidays. heh.

.b

hehe btw i did the music, thanks!

doogs

I don’t like the particles (looks like vomit)

Yeah, I’m not very good at particles. :-?

in the ending, I almost hoped, that the guy who noticed it’s the banana that’s evil, couldn’t have resisted to try it on, and turned evil himself… heh.

We were going to do something like that but we didn’t have enough time.

what did they think of it in school?

They liked it! :smiley:

Dude, hahahahaha, that was a hysterical, fun, gentle, positive movie short experience!

That was just the dose of “good vibes” the doctor ordered…

First, I was quite impressed with your shot selections. Some very imaginative angles and moves were executed with the camera and edited together… a very neat string of sequences…

The compositing was pretty good. The shadow-play as the penguin walked up the stairs was a nice touch - very good matching of CG shadow with the real thing.

I laughed myself silly at the dude playing the “do A to get to B and the wall of macaroni etc-etc” part. And the two girls talking about what a stud the penguin was… hahaha - the live action was just as neat and imaginitive as your CG work.

“wanna hang out with us?” - and then they dance… hahaha… that was just such a priceless carefree moment. BTW - good composite job right after this sequence when the one dude is on the couch with the penguin. Quite impressive. You can complain all you want that it could be improved… but the performance by the live dude and the CG dude just completely sold the whole idea… suspension of disbelief… :wink:

Thanks dude for posting this up for us to catch. This showed a lot of promise, imagination, and know-how. An excellent example of the best that can be achieved with available tools, resources, and time.

Take a bow Weirdhat. Good job! (And I find it neat that you made a Hitchcock cameo with your “wierd” hat. I once read Ton liked that hat…)

Jason Saville

enjoyed it. I’m very new to the "3d in real life thing and saw something about it a while ago. Still, cool. "

This was from 2003. Look at the date before you post.

I got excited…a new WeirdHat short.

Then I saw the date.

Please don’t bump threads that are off the first page unless it’s absolutely necessary. Thanks.

Hehe, I dunno. If not for the bumpage, I would have missed out on this epic movie.

I loved it :smiley:

I never saw the movie first time either but it sure pisses me off when people bring back old threads because it means I’m posting on old news. Why aren’t threads over say a year old automatically locked? Then if a thread needs to be raised, a mod can be consulted about it.

Anyway, I thought some of the chicks in the movie were pretty hot and now they’ll be legal age. I would have liked to see a movie with just the girl at the end of the table in it. I think she’s the one of the website.

The movie was ok but I only liked the bit where the penguin gets bashed with the chair. Nice rotoscoping there. The rest I didn’t like much but not bad for two weeks work.

Well it was sinking again until you posted just now… I think I’ll just lock it until it leaves the front page.

Anyway, this is oooold and pretty crappy in retrospect.