a bench

(Eidam655) #1

hi folks,

actually working on a bench which i want to use in some later project. i need any C&C and suggestions you can give me - especially on how to improve the wood’s material. (see attachment)

thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Attachments

0 Likes

(Juggler) #2

The shading looks really nice! I think you need a little more spec.
Apply a wooden texture to it! If you wanna try procedural; www.blender-materials.org

0 Likes

(Guitar87) #3

Yeah, looks good.

Put it on a plane so we can see how you envisioned it standing up. And yeah, more spec.

0 Likes

(Myn.pheos) #4

The shader looks nice in that picture. But I cannot decide on the color. Add some wood texture and bump map and it will be better. But definitely you need better scene, even for quick material previews. It is hard to improve material, if the background is plain default blender blue ™. Benches are usually outside, so make a simple sun setup (a sun and a hemi lamp will be enought). Most important, change the background to something more natural than blender blue. This will help to tweak the material, because human brain percieves colors in different combination differently.

0 Likes

(Guitar87) #5

Yeah, if you have a picture of the outdoors on your computer, just slap that down as the background for right now, just to get the material correct. Then, when you decide to put this bench in another scene, the material will already be correct.

Anyways, good job.

0 Likes

(Eidam655) #6

okay. added environment, changed texture… later i’ll post some pics with materials from blender-materials.org
any suggestions how to improve the texture? seem quite repetitive to me. probably i’ll try to UVmap it… thx :slight_smile:

Attachments

0 Likes

(Myn.pheos) #7

Hmm, the wood texture is strange. Check these: http://www.mayang.com/textures/Wood/html/Manufactured%20Wooden%20Items/index.html

UV mapping gives most control, so try it out.

0 Likes

(Eidam655) #8

well, the texture is from mayang :stuck_out_tongue:

i’ll try the uvmapping today, after school…

0 Likes

(Eidam655) #9

okay,

wasn’t in a mood for uv mapping, so i rendered it with the walnut naterial from blender-materials.org… i think it’ better now, and the grass needs some more particles… maybe

Attachments

0 Likes

(Myn.pheos) #10

This looks a lot better. Maybe the bump map is too strong, but that can be fixed easily. You don`t have to do nothing with the grass, you wanted the bench only…

0 Likes

(Eidam655) #11

yeah, you’re right :slight_smile:

but when i’ve come as far as this, i think it would be good to finish it :slight_smile: add more grass, add a pavement, a bin… :wink:

0 Likes

(Myn.pheos) #12

If you want…

0 Likes