A big step for VSE editing!

It’s been a long time coming, but soon it seems, you wont have to fiddle with annoying translate sliders any more! No more moving video by applying it to a plane in 3D view, no more bumping the video over to the compositor. Npe all that may be swept away.
I say maybe because at the moment it is a humble patch http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=34064&group_id=9&atid=127

You can initiate the drag and drop by:

• either clicking with your select mouse button: the feature takes into account your settings for left/right selection. It also takes into the “release confirms” settings, so that it works similar as other views according to user settings.
  • or with a keyboard shortcut (default “g” for consistency with defaults on other view, again).

This first version of the patch has no “selection” feature. You must first select sequences in the sequencer views. Maybe a future improvement could be to give possibility to select graphically your sequences, but not just now.

You can also select several sequences in the sequencer if you want to drag them all in the same time of the same translation value. I made so that it translate only what is visible at the current frame. That allows to select everything with “a” for instance but only visible sequences are translated (and you don’t get bad surprise later).
Of course it drags only sequences where use_translation is set as well (“Image Offset” box checked).

Sure it maybe a basic tool of many NLEs but Blender’s editor really is designed as a simple sequencer, for stringing clips together. For this reason I won’t be holding my breath as change comes slowly to the VSE. But I do believe that Jehan Pagès deserves serious kudos for his attempt to improve the user experience. Let’s hope that he has more tricks up his sleeve. I can think of a few :wink:

Why not show the love and support by commenting at the tracker page.

this is great :slight_smile:
love it

Oh yes… MOAR! This is too perfect!

I now make all my vids in the VSE. Love seeing improvements in ease of use. Thanks!

I’ve apply the patch, It work, but It’s slow, very slow.
I’m on ubuntu 12.04 64bit.

Hey kgeogeo, that’s a great start. Could you let the dev know at the link above? It maybe a system issue or a code issue.

Hi there,

I believe I now have the correct script from the link in the first post. Thank you.
I have named it VSE_Transform_tool.py
I have placed it carefully in many places including for windows:
C:\Users\Sol.LOVE\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons
and
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons
which are standard directories made by the Blender install on Windows 7.
I have also tried to install from file in User Preferences Addons
The script/addon still does not show anywhere, at all, particularly on the Addon tab of User Preferences.

Can anyone please help me to install this script/addon correctly.

I just cannot get the script to show in Blender 2.6.5 r53189
Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I would really like to use this script in my project.
With many thanks,
Sol
solmillin at gmail dot com

solmil
this is a patch, not a script.
if I understand correctly, the *.diff file adds the changes to the Blender source code, which then must be re-compiled.
I think…

That script is becoming more amazing every week. Have another look at the thread to see what it can do now!