A bike called "beautiful mess"

pffff… i just took a peek at 2.8… and i think its horrible…
everything is changed and i cant find anything in the program… hell, i cant even find how to add anything in it… this is not an update, its a complete new program. in other words i have been learning 2 years blender for nothing… what a waste of time.

It’s ok to be daunted by something new, were only humans after all.

But lets be realistic. You have not learned ‘blender’. You learned how to model, how to build materials, how to light and how to create an appealing composition.

Those are the real skills you acquired. Yes, when tools change there is a period where you have to get used to them, but the tools are just part of what you learned, not the end all.

Therefore I firmly believe you will adjust to cycles and 2.8 just fine. Don’t lose yourself in your own frustration; your skills encompass more than just knowing button names. :thumbsup:

1 Like

the modeling i learned are specific to blender… im sure modeling is quite different in other 3D programs.
and im getting too old to start learning everything all over again…
you don’t hide a painter’s brushes somewhere and tell him he has to start paintig with airbrushes now. altho the airbrushes might give a better result, it doesn’t mean the artist has to like the new way of working…
i am not a computer-geek friend… i am an artist. and yes i get frustrated if some1 hides or messes up my “brushes”.

No, it’s not. Buttons are placed other way, operations called different, but the process is absolutely identical everywhere. Only thing you do is dragging verts, polys and sometimes extrude. That’s it.

1 Like

well in that case, if only the buttons are changed, i might just as well switch to another program…
one that doesn’t keep changing everything.
i just took a look at 2.8 and it looks like a different software all together… i couldn’t even find how to add a object (cube, sphere, etc…).
besides, modeling is not the problem but things like materials and texturing are… that’s why i never switched to cycles in the 1st place… the node thing doesn’t feel anything like “artistic work”… its pure computer fidling i.m.o.
internal feld way more like experimenting with art than cycles does. as an artist, the nodes thing doesn’t make sense at all to me…
it just depends the way you look at it i guess, but if an artist doesn’t feel comfortable with cycles than its up to the blender foundation to make their choice… do they want artists to create art on a pc, or just computer geeks who try to create art?..
they should have kept internal in there… or simply split the program in 2 different ones…
just my thought…

Which is… none? Some software even has some special menus for finding newly displaced buttons https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-ECE15067-3B48-4119-8095-A8FB4BA2A072-htm.html

Hm, if you are talking about tweaking settings in Internal’s shaders by setting it between 0 and 1, you can do exactly the same in Cycles almost for two years now, simply by choosing Principled BSDF shader. Not a single node required to be attached.

hmmm… didn’t know that…
but that’s exactly what i mean, why complicate everything to get the same result?
and can some1 please tell me how to add a mesh?.. i can only find how to add a cube in edit mode, but i want to add i.e. a sphere. how do i do that?.. the bottom buttons (add, view, select, etc) are gone… :confused:

ok thanx… so they changed add to new… i’ll give it another try, see what happens… thanx for the feedback

Hard surface as I dream it. excellent.
Could you show à render where the bike is on lifted position?
Is this a straight Blender modeling or do you use any addons?

i’ll see what i can do as i don’t have any pics of the bike in ride-hight… i’ll have to improvise the hight…
as for the modeling its 100% blender…

Well, be sure to also post the photograph when some mechanic actually builds this thing! :smiley:

Ahh, I see that someone did! (Does the hot girl come with it?)

here’s some pics of the actual bike…
these are the pics i used to model the bike, so don’t kill me if you find some slight differences… :wink:
%24%20(7)
%24
%24%20(2)
%24%20(4)
%24%20(6)
%24%20(3)
%24%20(1)

1 Like

Seriously, “don’t be afraid of 2.8.” Get to know Eevee. I’m still lobbying for Blender Internal to be included (or re-introduced) into 2.8x after a suitable refurbishing – because I still need it for old stuff – but it really doesn’t take long at all to get the hang of the 2.8 way of doing things, and the Eevee engine is “astonishingly good.”

Yes, you’re gonna face another learning curve, and that sorta feels like getting hit in the face with a cast-iron skillet and/or “taking a sip from a fire hose,” but … “you did that before, if you recall.”

When I look at and use Eevee, I try to remember that it is very much based on graphic hardware concepts, whereas BI was (necessarily) a completely-synthetic world meant to be implemented only in software. It is completely centered around “nodes.”

This is a pretty stunning piece of wok you created here! It sure is a bummer to see that Cycles is the reason why you are considering moving on to another tool.

currently there is a mole in eevee, some essential shading methods are missing, in particular
Toon BSDF, Velvet BSDF, Principled Hair BSDF, Anisotropic BSDF, OSL, Sky Texture… soo … no blender internal… no eevee at all

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/2.80/EEVEE

there’s a lot missing in 2.8… like the layers and stuff…
2.8 is beta and was only released to get the feel of the new layout and the eevee engine…

naaahhh… i’ll probably give it another try… now that i read that there’s something called Principled BSDF shader, that works pretty much like the shader in internal, i’ll see if i can get started that way… i love blender too much to just dump it without even trying…
is there a tool that can convert internal materials to cycles/eevee materials? that would surely help…

Yes, the Principled BSDF is a great node and is very capable right from the start. I think you will be able to adjust in no time at all and find the new way of doing things to be as enjoyable.

It looks upside down.