A character animation - Man From Borg

This is an animation I am working on. It is WIP, but the facial expressions and lipsync is pretty much done. I am planning to animate the hands/arms as well as the body more.

Here is a still:

http://www.shadeless.dk/files/finalpic.jpg

-------December 28 EDIT--------

I have now completed the movie!!!

http://www.shadeless.dk/shadeless/movies/manfromborg.mov (2mb .mov Quicktime)

works best if you rightclick and choose “save link as…”

This is a still from the final version:
http://www.shadeless.dk/files/finalpic2.jpg

Nice. I’m downloading the video now. I really like your character.

SWEET!

I love the way the guy’s head moves. Very nicely done.

I think the hand sticking out is kinda outta place though. I think it would be perfect if both hands where behind his back.

Very nicely done.

Thats awesome. Good choice of soundbyte. Good environment, and I really like the character.

Throw a little (more) ambient light in there though.

• Sharp

genius lipsync! great work, monkeyboi. You’re multi-talented.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

britrock: Yes I know the arm looks a bit strange. But move to frame 1 and you will see that both hands are behind his back. I just haven’t animated the arms yet… Only the left arm for the first second or so.

Sharp wrote:

Throw a little (more) ambient light in there though.

Are the shadows too hard? Too many pitch black areas? I just want to to see if I understand. I could easily throw in some subtle light if you would prefer.

genius lipsync! great work, monkeyboi. You’re multi-talented.

Ohh thanks, I’m honoured!
Really am!

I’ll keep you informed with updates here… However it takes ages to render animations with raytraced shadows. It really is seriousely slow compared to other raytracers I’ve used. XSI’s one is probably faster than Blenders scanline rendering! They don’t have to be this slow… Ah well, it’s better than nothing!

By the way, I forgot to mention that it was modeled, animated and rendered in Blender if you were in doubt…

wow. Thats some really good lip-syncin’ :slight_smile: I only have a couple of crits, firstly the shadow of the fan above could be a bit softer and secondly that the body and arms don’t seem to move that much.

EDIT: Oh sorry, I didn’t read your post properly! So make that only 1 crit, the shadow :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comment irgeorge…

However it is not easy to do good soft shadows with Blender. Maybe I will try and see if I can emulate the raytraced shadows with buffer shadows which smooth better in some ways. What would you recommend?

hrmm… I would have said just use the raytraced ones but you mentioned how slow that is. I honestly don’t know. I’m going to experiment a bit with shadows and see what happens…

EDIT: ok from what I was fiddling with halo seemed to do the trick and might work well in your scene (light buttons: halo) Also try fiddling with the soft button :slight_smile:

EDIT EDIT: I was taking a look around your site and I noticed you had done a still of this in blender 2.28 with radiosity lighting, that looked great so why not use radiosity? Possible make it a bit darker than you had in that pic but it looked good to me. Although I’ve never used radiosity so I wouldn’t know if it was as slow as raytracing.

Thanks for the effort and research! hehe…

EDIT EDIT: I was taking a look around your site and I noticed you had done a still of this in blender 2.28 with radiosity lighting, that looked great so why not use radiosity? Possible make it a bit darker than you had in that pic but it looked good to me. Although I’ve never used radiosity so I wouldn’t know if it was as slow as raytracing.

The trouble with radiosity is that it is even slower than raytracing, and that you have to subdivede everything madly because it paints the shadows at vertex level. Also, in animation the shadows move crudely with radiosity.

I might do it with Blenders area lights, but they are only psuedo-smooth. It might look okay in my situation though.

ok :slight_smile: Anyway, from your site and this anim your alot better in blender than me :slight_smile:

hehe…

I’ve just finished animating the arms, hands and fingers! Just set it to render!

Check here again soon for an update!

IT IS NOW FINISHED

Download the final here:
http://www.shadeless.dk/shadeless/movies/manfromborg.mov

(rightclick, “save link as…”)

I’ll still accept crits and comments… You never know… I might do a second final version at some point!

Hi Monkeyboi! decent animation and awesome lipsync. Here are my comments/crits:
1-Lipsync; this is fantastic, and a great adaptation to the stylized facial features you have created. I wouldn’t change a thing about it- I don’t see how it could be improved.
2-deformation/joints: This is currently lacking. The shoulders are modelled in a weird way (they don’t exist) which could be good in a stylized way, but they’re betrayed by the deformations in the arms. The arms are bending hollow-tube style. I question this as a stylistic decision since it will be invariably seen as a mistake by most animators. I’d work more on the joint modelling and rigging, perhaps adding in a ring of vertices and an extra bone (i.e. an elbow bone, with 50% of the forearm and 50% of the bicep rotation).
3- type of motion: arm animation is still to floaty/evenly keyed. Needs some more animation work, speed changes to get more punchy, esp. since it is punctuating the animation. A lot of animation tutorials I’ve read say to do the lipsync last, and make sure the whole body conveys the animation before the face is moved.
4- range of motion: you might want him stiff, but since you’ve moved his head and arms, his torso/center of gravity should shift a bit. That’ll add some subtle movement to his waist to get him moving around.

Its great animation, the lipsync alone had me laughing out load. I think it needs some more work before the rest of it is jaw-dropping material though. (I don’t at any point claim that I could do better, either)

Hi slikdigit! Wow, some really useful and constructive critisism! Thanks!

The shoulders are not supposed to bend in that horrible way… I fiddled with them for a while but got fed up. Maybe the modeling of the shoulders mode defined as well, and I might add some shoulder bones like you suggest. However the main problem for me was the IK… that was what made the arm screw up. After a while a decided it didn’t matter, but thanks for reminding me, I really should try to find a solution!

3- type of motion: arm animation is still to floaty/evenly keyed. Needs some more animation work, speed changes to get more punchy, esp. since it is punctuating the animation. A lot of animation tutorials I’ve read say to do the lipsync last, and make sure the whole body conveys the animation before the face is moved.

Yeah, I know, I should have done the body first… I actually own a heap of animation books, but I’m usually too lazy to read through them when I’m working on something. Anyway, lipsyncing is more fun to do than posing IMO! :smiley: I should work on making it more snappy. I hate that computery slowings, samish motion that often appears in computer animations. I want to get rid of that! Thanks for pointing it out…’

Actually this is really useful. It becomes really hard to judge your own movie when you have worked on it for a while. It’s nice to know what is good and what is not…

Keep the comments coming!

Hilarious, the character, the concept, funny, especcialy those teeht:)

hehe thanks!

This picture lies framed on the mans mantlepiece:

http://www.shadeless.dk/files/borgman_inlove.jpg

Oh yeah… and you know this is his brother right?

http://www.shadeless.dk/shadeless/images/discowarrior2.jpg

Nice, the lighting looks nicer in this version. After reading slikdigit’s crits I do notice the shoulder thing but I didb’t notice it before so its not that bad… :slight_smile:

Really really cool.

I’ve got a question for you. How did you manage the lipsync?