A Chess Piece

This is my first finished art work (probably because it’s so simple and took me only a half hour to make). It’s basically an almost photorealistic render of a pawn chess peice, apparently made of glass or acryllic. It was rendered in the BI, with a 15 minute render time:

What do you think?

Very nice. I especially like the material.
Ball on the head seems a little big, though.
Unless it was designed that way?

I like it that size, and thanks!

I agree that the base seems a little small for the top; it’d (probably) be too easy to bump over, creating havoc(in the real world of course).

But I could be wrong. I just don’t think so. :wink:

Very nice, although just out of interest, is it a white or a black piece?:slight_smile:

Willitblend, isn’t it a clear piece? :wink:

Nice work YL, I can see why everyone is saying that the top looks to big, and at first I thought so to, but then I remembered a set I played with once where the pieces had larger tops for the purpose of ease of moving them, besides this way it make me think he is just a dumb thick headed pawn.:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, the top is a little too big. But if it was used in a real chess game, it would probably be a white peice, and the black peices would probably be the same but with a dark tint or something, LOL.

Some wood or plastic chess pieces look top heavy but have metal weighted bases so they don’t tip over. Unfortunatly that technique doesn’t work with clear glass or plastic. Since this looks like it’s from practical chess set people would expect to play with, rather than a fancy schmancy display set that never is touched, I’d expand the base about 50%.

Don’t save the knight for last. It’s usually the hardest piece, so work on it next.

This was just a really quick render. I didn’t expect to do the whole chess set, but now I changed my mind and I think I’ll do it!

If you study the reflections in this piece, I think you’ll notice two specific areas that are “unrealistic”:

• The two bright reflections in the top globe. - (Yet…) no reflections at all from the cylindrical portion beneath it.
    When an object is “transparent” or “translucent,” you’ll notice that its surface is nevertheless always visible. It’s always got a fair bit of specularity,so you can always see it.

In a photograph, we use “fill lights” to make sure that this shape-defining specularity is always visible. Then, we squirt in just a little bit of “key light” to pull-in details like the globe reflections. Your eye tends to interpret the scene as though the fill-lights were not there… yet, because of them, the amount of key-light can be “turned way down.”

The lighting setup of a traditional photograph is not “real.” Rather, it is believable.

very cute the baby~

sundialsvc4: Thank you for the tips, and I did notice that the top shere is a little bit unrealistic, but what do you mean by “(Yet…) no reflections at all from the cylindrical portion beneath it”? I can’t change (as far as I know) the exact way it reflects the other parts of it’s environment.

billyJ: WTF are you talking about? LOL

Maybe the top is hollow. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway I like the materials. Good work.

Hay thats funny. i just finished making a low poly pawn for a game.

Looks cool though.