A Comparision of Blender with Maya/4D/3DS

I was just googling for Blender. I found a Chart here
http://www.tdt3d.be/articles_viewer.php?art_id=99

Just so you know, this has been posted at least once already. Here’s the thread if you want to see more responses:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106590&highlight=comparison

This is not news and the discussions related to comparing other applications with Blender tend to be pointless, then to get locked.

Not if they are done seriously.

Martin

True. Some of these discussions are pointless.

Yes, but it’s very hard to get that here. It’s BLENDERartist.org. Mentioning a single strong point in competing soft will assure replies close to death threats.

What I’d like blender to improve or more like to get: real time hair simulation, same for cloth.

AAAAGH! Blasphemy! Burn the Witch! Burn the Witch!

:wink:

See! :stuck_out_tongue:

(I rest my case)

Yes, but it’s very hard to get that here. It’s BLENDERartist.org. Mentioning a single strong point in competing soft will assure replies close to death threats.

What I’d like blender to improve or more like to get: real time hair simulation, same for cloth.

You’re aware that this is under intensive development, right?

As far as I’m aware the developers of these tools have not received any death threats…

http://wxtools.com/

On the contrary, I think Genscher has even collected a few Euros on his website from people who are really interested in encouraging the cloth development…

yes, and from the results of the physics sprint… i think they decided to remove/change the particles baking into an automated one, so that you don’t need to bake and unbake by going and clicking some button all the time, or something, iirc… :slight_smile:

What I mean by real time hair sim is “real time interactive hair sim”. Check out some Maya video tutorial. You start the sim, you can grab any object during the sim, move those objects, and the hair interacts with them. You don’t need to set any animation or anything to test how things work. It’s interactive.

Say what you want, but that was something that left my mouth open. (Not sure it’s worth the price of Maya though, but pretty close to it.)

blender -NURBS- Very poor, a nightmare !
hmm newer used NURBS here hehe

I tried to NOT bring this up, but… as you might guess, Maya hair is NURBS.

Sorry but this comparsion tables are quite useless. You can’t compair Blender with Maya, XSI or Cinema 4D that’s somehow if you try to compair apples and bacon :wink:

Very poor, a nightmare !

thats for blenders NURBS…hmm.

Softbodies, hair, cloth and all…blender rates as good for those, wich actually surprises me.

blenders biggest compotition seems to be Maya, which looks good, cept for the price…

I get the feeling this table is trying not to hurt peoples feelings. Because unless one softwares functionality is dead horrible, it says Good.

I knew what link it was before I opened this topic. Must be psychic :ba:

You know… Blender did not ever had the ability to comb hairs and all that. Heck, it didn’t even have hair until recently. You can’t have everything at the same time… (and for free).

Curves, but there’s nothing better about that then what Blender will have with the new particle patch (which actually results in curves as well IIRC, just not the usual ones).

The question: was this topic created to start a discussion on comparison, or was it started simply to post information about a comparison someone else has done (for informative reasons)? Teh world will never nooooooooooooooo!! Common, put down the knife. That’s it! You wanna cut me!? You want ta cut me??? Alright… BRING IT!!!:ba:

Yeah, that’s right. Who’s ya daddy!!!