Thanks for all the comments, there are a lot more than I expected. Because natholas asked here are some screenshots that should hopefully show how I did this.
This is my setup, the spheres aren’t actually rendered (they’re on a separate layer) they just supply the vertices to make the volumetric material around.
This is the one texture applied to the cube, it uses the vertices of the spheres to add volumetric material with turbulence. I just used the default material settings for volumetrics.
Here is my node setup, it’s extremely convoluted and messy. But you can see what I started with in the background.
Here is a simplified and organized version of my node setup. Doesn’t look nearly as good but it gives you a better idea of what I did.
This is the link to the higher res version of my node tree…
Thanks for the replies, and keep on commenting