A few beginner's questions

Hi,

I’ve been exploring Blender the past evenings and it’s made me really enthousastic to switch from 3ds Max to Blender (2.5+).

As a Max user I’ve got some newbie questions. I hope you can help me out, thanks in advance.

Is there a raycast mode for the 3D cursor, comparable with the Autogrid mode in 3ds Max? In other words: is there a mode that enables you to place the 3D cursor on the normals of whatever object is under your mouse pointer?

And if there is such a mode, does it also work on the grid in the 3D view? Right now the 3D cursor is not placed on the zero-level grid plane in the 3D view when you click the right mousebutton.

In mesh edit mode, is there a way to remove vertices / edges / edge loops while keeping the faces intact (comparable with Ctrl-Remove in 3ds Max Editable Poly), or do you have to rebuild faces each time you delete vertices / edges / edgeloops?

Is there a raycast mode for the 3D cursor, comparable with the Autogrid mode in 3ds Max? In other words: is there a mode that enables you to place the 3D cursor on the normals of whatever object is under your mouse pointer?

In the User Preferences / Interface panel select ‘Auto Depth’

In mesh edit mode, is there a way to remove vertices / edges / edge loops while keeping the faces intact (comparable with Ctrl-Remove in 3ds Max Editable Poly), or do you have to rebuild faces each time you delete vertices / edges / edgeloops?

To join two adjacent triangles, select them and press F (currently n-gons are not supported, use a b-mesh blender version currently under development for more advanced mesh tools). To delete and edge loop press X / edge loop

Cool, thanks a lot for your swift answers, Richard. Much appreciated.

Hi again,

While further exploring Blender, I can’t seem to find where I can set the weight of a NURBS handle in version 2.5+

Your help is again much appreciated, thanks in advance.

In the Properties panel (N key), look under the Transform section and you will see a “W” parameter below the X, Y and Z ones.

Cool, thanks!

In the mean time a new question has arrived: is there a way to fillet Bezier curve handles, to round off corners? In 3ds Max there’s a fillet function for curve handles, turning one handle into two handles with an adjustable curvature for the corner between them.

I think you want bevel? If so, that’s under the spanner icon(modifiers) in the properties panel.

Thanks James, but I’m looking for a bevel/fillet (rounded corner) function for curve points (in Edit mode).

Some other things I’m looking for:

Option to align the view to the normal of a selected face.

Option to quickly align a normal of one object to a desired normal of an other object (and more quick object to object align functions).