A few "fix up" questions

I’ve got a model that’s just about ready to render. However there’s a few things that I’d like to touch up but being as I haven’t been using blender very long I don’t know how to fix these.

1. Light patch on the mesh: In the black render below you’ll see that the body of the truck has a light spot on it. It’s a single face and I’ve outlined it so it’s more obvious (as if it weren’t already :rolleyes:) How can I get rid of spots like these? I’ve tried recalculating the normals to the outside/inside and that didn’t help.

2. Attaching a vert to an edge: From pic #2 you can see what I’m talking about. Selected is a single vert. Just below it is a edge that I’d like to attaché the vert to. I’m not sure if this can be done but if so how can I attaché the vert to the edge?

Attachments

1: The image is a bit small to see, but I’ve got three ideas what the problem might be:
a: A normal is causing problems. Select your mesh (RMB) go into edit-mode (TAB) select all vertices (A-key) and recalculate normals (CTRL+N).
b: There are two faces at the same position. Select your mesh (RMB) go into edit-mode (TAB) select all vertices (A-KEY) and remove doubles (W-key --> remove doubles).
c: You’ve got more than one material applied to your mesh. Select your mesh (RMB) go into edit-mode (TAB) and select the troublesome mesh. Go to the editing buttons (F9). Select the correct material in the ‘Link and Materials’ panel. Click assign.
If neither of these solve the problem, post a better screenshot or show us the .blend.

2: Select both your edge and the vertex you wish to attach and press F-key.

Okay No. 1 is fixed. I had deleted and remade that face however before that I had done a radiosity on it. So the new face wasn’t affected by the radiosity. A simple redo of the radiosity fixed it up right.

No. 2 however isn’t what I’m looking to do. I don’t want to make a new face I want to weld the vert to the edge. I know there’s a way to do this in programs like 3ds but I’m not sure how to do it in blender. It’s like: “if only there was a way to merge edges in blender…”

to keep nice mesh flow, you could do a loop cut (ctrl-e) in the edge you want to attach to, position the new loops near the vertice, then merge the vertice and the nearest vertice on the new loop, and merge them. You could also try subdividing the edge, but this will give you triangles (not good for subsurf).

Now that’s what I’m looking for! Thanks much. :slight_smile: