A few questions about yafray

Long ago I tried yafaray (while on 2.4x) and found that it kinda sucked, but today I decided to give it a go again and found out it evolved into something very cool and easy to use!

While struggling a bit at the beginning (I got issues with the graphic card but I’ll have to bare with it until I re-install the OS (windows)), right now I have 2 question I just don’t know how to solve (or if they are know limitations):

-is there a way to make flat transparent things to be transparent on reflections/refractions? In the small room image In the circles I show one of the small statues where the alpha map works correctly, and in the other the alpha map is ignored (either because is behind the glass or when its reflected by it) (by the way I also post a piece of the same picture without the alpha maps applied)

-sometimes I get iluminated spots on weird places, in the church in the circle I show a spot with a weird red ilumination, is there a way to solve that.

I’m using photon maps with final gather by the way.

Increase Raydepth

Its difficult to say what that is from the image posted. It could be caustics if there is glass in the windows, but more likely it is because the photon map should be improved.
Enable ‘Show Radiance Map’ and post the render with the render settings.

Yafaray generally prefers things to be modelled at a ‘real world’ scale. Ensure everything is roughly the correct size in metres and do CTRL+A to reset scale for all objects.

The walls of buildings should have depth to avoid external photons being included in the lighting calculation for the interior. Make sure the Search Radius is less than the thickness of the wall.

Increase Raydepth
That did the trick, thank you :smiley:

Its difficult to say what that is from the image posted. It could be caustics if there is glass in the windows, but more likely it is because the photon map should be improved.
Enable ‘Show Radiance Map’ and post the render with the render settings.

Yafaray generally prefers things to be modelled at a ‘real world’ scale. Ensure everything is roughly the correct size in metres and do CTRL+A to reset scale for all objects.

The walls of buildings should have depth to avoid external photons being included in the lighting calculation for the interior. Make sure the Search Radius is less than the thickness of the wall.

Well, all walls have thickness, and the size of the model is a bit larger than it should (comparing to the 2 meters default cube, the scale seems twice bigger…)

I’m uploading both settings and the radiance map.

Changing the Search radius (halved it) made the red light to disappear, it seems that light came from the roof (wich was rather thin), now only a few random light blue spots remaining.

Here, on the roof there are some light blue spot at both sides that seem a bit out of place.

Thanks for the help!

The photon map is not a good one. That could be causing the apparent anomalies. There should be no dark patches. What is the lighting set up? It is generally a good idea to have either area lights or portals at the windows to help direct photons into the interior.

There is some information on creating a good photon map in the Yafaray documentation here:-
http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/tutorials/photonmap
http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/userguide/lightingmethods#photonmap

There is also a new tutorial being written. Although it is not finished yet, it is quite detailed and succinct and a very good starting point. You can download it in the first post here:-
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&p=27764#p27764

Well, I have a sun outside, and 6 area shadow, 1 for each window (although I’m putting them in the inside, not outside the glass). Also environment light (the one form the sky color). I’m using 500.000 photons for both diffuse and caustic. I guess that the church is way too closed up to lit well.

Thanks for the links they will come in handy!