A few questions on basics (mostly keyframes/animation)

Hey all -

I’m getting used to the 2.60 UI, but there are still a few things I’m confused on, and a few things about blender in general that I’ve forgotten.

1. I have a setup where my camera is at location A on frame 1, and moves to location B on frame 250. I have LocRotScale keyframes set up for each of these. The camera keeps facing the same direction and just moves in a straight line. This is exactly what I want - however, when I add a third keyframe at frame 350, in which the camera has changed position and rotation (again a LocRotScale keyframe), the area between frame 1 and frame 250 is effected: the camera looks to the right while it’s moving. I’ve made sure that the rotation is exactly the same at frame 1 and at frame 250. How can I get this to stop happening? Also, is there a way I can get my camera to immediately move from one location to another? For “changing scene” effects?

2. When I press Shift+F I get this nifty effect where the camera follows my cursor at different speeds based on where the cursor is in comparison to the center. Is there a way I can, say, play an animation (get all of the objects moving how I want them to) and then have my camera follow my view around while I do that? I’d like it to automatically keyframe the location and rotation of the camera so that when I play back from camera view, this motion tracking is repeated.

3. I remember there was a way to set the keyframes to interact with each other in such a way that moving from location A to location B would happen at a constant rate, instead of speeding up at the beginning and end. I don’t remember this method nor do I know if it is the same in 2.60

4. I’m going to be making some space scenes and have nebulae I’d like to put in the background. I’d like it set up such that I can have a number of things going on in the foreground, zoom out and have those things become much smaller, have a larger object (such as a planet) become only slightly smaller, and have the background change little if none at all. Should I do this by applying nebulae textures to a large sphere, or is there a way to set a background to do this without actually making the sphere? I do want the background to appear to maintain the exact same orientation as the camera moves.

5. Can I have multiple cameras, with different motion paths, filming the same scene? Such that I could render the same scene from each camera without actually repeating the scene in the timeline.

6. How do I change the render dimensions? I used to know basic things like this but I’m just lost at this point… It’s probably a UI thing that I haven’t gotten used to.

7. There are a number of special effects that I used to apply to animations and stills - depth of field, etc. I don’t remember much about them. Where can I find basic/general documentation on how to use these and how to animate them? (For instance, I would like to have a scene where the camera comes into focus, and another where I make a quick “zoom-out” change and have to simulate changing the focus to capture the nearer objects.

8. I remember there being a setup by which I could set several different deformations for a character’s face and overlap those deformations to create expressions. How do I do this, and is it possible to apply such things to multi-mesh mechanical objects? For instance, I want a piece of artillery to fire and have both a “fully extended” barrel and a “fully compressed” barrel that I can just keyframe into the timeline without manually changing the location of the parts, and without worrying about rotating the object or changing it’s location as I perform the action. Is this possible via the same method as setting up faces for expressions/talking?

1. I have a setup where my camera is at location A on frame 1, and moves to location B on frame 250. I have LocRotScale keyframes set up for each of these. The camera keeps facing the same direction and just moves in a straight line. This is exactly what I want - however, when I add a third keyframe at frame 350, in which the camera has changed position and rotation (again a LocRotScale keyframe), the area between frame 1 and frame 250 is effected: the camera looks to the right while it’s moving. I’ve made sure that the rotation is exactly the same at frame 1 and at frame 250. How can I get this to stop happening? Also, is there a way I can get my camera to immediately move from one location to another? For “changing scene” effects?
    You probably have a smooth transition in the camera movements which is causing it to start the rotation before you intentionally wanted it to. Take a look at the graph editor and see if you can correct it from there.
    Regarding the “changing scene effect” you could just make the camera move in 1 frame. So for example at frame 1 it is at position A and frame 2 it is in position B. That will give an 1 frame move to position B
  1. When I press Shift+F I get this nifty effect where the camera follows my cursor at different speeds based on where the cursor is in comparison to the center. Is there a way I can, say, play an animation (get all of the objects moving how I want them to) and then have my camera follow my view around while I do that? I’d like it to automatically keyframe the location and rotation of the camera so that when I play back from camera view, this motion tracking is repeated.
    Yepp you can use automatic keyframe insertion, click on the red circle button in the timeline menu (a little bit to the right from the playback controls).
    When you then play your animation you can move your camera using fly mode and blender will automatically keyframe the rotation.
  1. I remember there was a way to set the keyframes to interact with each other in such a way that moving from location A to location B would happen at a constant rate, instead of speeding up at the beginning and end. I don’t remember this method nor do I know if it is the same in 2.60
    You are right, there is a way. Open up your graph editor and in there mark the frame you want to change interpolation mode on. Then go to Key -> Interpolation mode -> Constant.

1. I’m going to be making some space scenes and have nebulae I’d like to put in the background. I’d like it set up such that I can have a number of things going on in the foreground, zoom out and have those things become much smaller, have a larger object (such as a planet) become only slightly smaller, and have the background change little if none at all. Should I do this by applying nebulae textures to a large sphere, or is there a way to set a background to do this without actually making the sphere? I do want the background to appear to maintain the exact same orientation as the camera moves.

I’m not sure if I completely understands your question but I think one way to do this would be to map the nebulae image to a plane in the background. That way it would be seen from the same perspective and not change so much.

1. Can I have multiple cameras, with different motion paths, filming the same scene? Such that I could render the same scene from each camera without actually repeating the scene in the timeline.

I actually didn’t know how to do this but I looked it up and found a video tutorial that showed how to do it. Here is a link.

1. How do I change the render dimensions? I used to know basic things like this but I’m just lost at this point… It’s probably a UI thing that I haven’t gotten used to.

Go into the properties window and under the Render panel go under the Dimensions tab. From there I think you can find how to adjust the dimensions :wink:

1. There are a number of special effects that I used to apply to animations and stills - depth of field, etc. I don’t remember much about them. Where can I find basic/general documentation on how to use these and how to animate them? (For instance, I would like to have a scene where the camera comes into focus, and another where I make a quick “zoom-out” change and have to simulate changing the focus to capture the nearer objects.

Most of the effects you are talking about are under the Object Data panel if you select the camera you want to apply the effects on. For example Depth of Field and Focal Lenght and others.

1. I remember there being a setup by which I could set several different deformations for a character’s face and overlap those deformations to create expressions. How do I do this, and is it possible to apply such things to multi-mesh mechanical objects? For instance, I want a piece of artillery to fire and have both a “fully extended” barrel and a “fully compressed” barrel that I can just keyframe into the timeline without manually changing the location of the parts, and without worrying about rotating the object or changing it’s location as I perform the action. Is this possible via the same method as setting up faces for expressions/talking?

Yeah, you could create shape Keys that you animate. It’ll take too much time for me to explain that so I suggest that you search on Google how it works.
You could also create a rig but in your case I would probably use shape keys.

Hope you found my answers useful :stuck_out_tongue:

If we meet in real life, I’m buying you a coffee, or other beverage of your choice. Thank you so much!

Hehe :slight_smile:
Just happy to be of service :smiley:
P.S some apple juice would be most appreciated xD