A few questions

Hey all, I am a noob. I got the book “The essential Blender” but have mostly learned what I know from tutorials online. I got into blender and made a decent looking model of a character (no face or hands) but what I really wanted to sink my teeth into was the level designing. I started to make a dungeon zone. I plan to make it very cave-like and have it go deep underground. I noticed that I started to exit the “grid” that it starts you off on. Do I have to stay within the area of the grid or is that just there for measurement purposes?

I wanted to test it out by walking through the cave, or rather I just want to see what it looks like from the perspective of someone walking through it. I know you can sort of look around inside by just making it show the walls but I want to know how I can make a character and move him around inside it… Even if the character is only a box just for testing purposes.

Thanks for any help!

Did you want to see the cave from the point of view of the character? Or, do you want to “follow” the character through the cave – see both the character and the cave?

I would like to see the character going through if possible so I could match the proportions

Look for tutorials on the game engine. This one should give you what you want http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/3/3e/BSOD_-_Game_Engine_Tutorial.pdf

thanks, ill read that tutorial.

Do I have to stay within the area of the grid or is that just there for measurement purposes? I want to continue building my dungeon but only if I will be able to use it

Hi,

It’s just for measurement purposes. You can change the it’s size and appearance in the view properties (see attached image).

Attachments

thank you!