A foxy remix [Finished]

A little bit more work done this evening after work. The base head is almost done. Hopefully it will be done by tomorrow evening!

3 Likes

Hey, would you please post a link to your Sketchfab account? I want to follow you there.

Hello!

To clarify, I’m quite a Blender noob and so far did not use Sketchfab outside of exercises for CGCookie. That may change in the future…

Here it is :

1 Like

Base head is 90% done!

There will likely be some tweaking to have vertices flow more naturally in the front, but first, I have to low-poly that magnificient mane!

3 Likes

Really cool so far. To color it, you could probably transfer the uvmap of the original fox head, and use the image to generate vertex colors in geometry nodes.

Very interesting approach. Not sure I would know how to do it. I’ll see…hopefully at the end of this week.

1 Like

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

Last week, let’s try to finish this project…

Got the mane done, always using the same strategy.

Same method has been used to re-create the flowers assets in the same lowpoly triangle style

I started to play with the particle system to get the flowers (very early draft).

I will work on the fox material tomorrow in the train for work, and I need to find a way to get the long hair system from the splashscreen done in lowpoly…

1 Like

Nice! Last few days, even :slight_smile:

I love the low poly triangle aesthetic, that always plays really well with the Sketchfab viewer. Are you on 3.3 yet? Have you played with the new hair system? I got into it on the weekend and it might be your answer for getting the long hair into Sketchfab; it now talks with Geometry Nodes, so you can use it to make hair cards, then you could use a painty strokey texture.

Make sure to get it on Sketchfab by Thursday, September 15, and tag it #bcon22challenge

After some trial and error, I may go with a regular fox color scheme with additional effects.

2 Likes

No, I’m still on 3.2, and due to real life work, I’m short of remaining time to work on these, and experimenting will be even harder.

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

The harshest trick of it is, you’ll go over to the Particles tab and think “WTH this is just the old hair, where do I find it?” The new workflow is if you got a mesh selected, go to Add | Curves and there’s a new Empty Hair object

I decided to emphasize the lowpoly aspect of it by mixing a gradient texture with a per face random color effect. I also took the decision to change the color scheme to a “natural” fox color. I also used a decimated curve to make a tail around the head.

I still need to add more mane details and whiskers.

My biggest issue right now is to have these material to work in sketchfab, which they currently don’t.

1 Like

that looks really cool

Ok ok…

I thought I would not be able to understand how to import my procedural texture to Sketchfab, but I managed to bake it and import it…

We are still on track to do something with this project!

To do list :

-Finish whiskers
-Finalize all procedural materials
-Bake all procedural materials into texture
-Import in Sketchfab and set things up.

2 Likes

Because of my messy workflow, the baked textures are quite scary to look at!

I’m working on a test version comparing what I could do between Blender and Sketchfab…

Blender test, light color, nice mood. Almost cosy…

Experimenting in Sketchfab, quite ominous, quite dark…

I should be able to finish it tomorrow after work. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

FINAL

Ok, I will consider it done now!

I’m happy that I finished something, but I’m disappointed by myself for not putting consistent effort into it.

I hope you’ll like it!

7 Likes

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 ours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Hey! We just announced the winners - check it out!