A gap in a mesh

How to do this quickly? There is a gap in the mesh in the picture. The lower picture is a cross section picture.

Attachments

You select the upper Face, press E->Region->Enter. Then Scale it down a bit (0.7?), press E->Region->Enter, Scale it down a bit less (0.95), then the same again with 0.95. Then you select the four Edges in the middle of the three near loops and put it down a little bit. That’s it.

Hmm… I didn’t get it x)… so which of the faces is the “upper” one, as you said? Then I have to select and extrude it, scale it down, and extrude and scale down again? And then “the same again with 0,95”? And I have no idea, which are the four edges or loops you mean… Could you explain it in a bit simpler way?

[ATTACH]49399[/ATTACH]
Select the upper Face, Extrude [type e>>Region, Enter or Escape.] Then Scale it down a bit
[type s, move the mouse, or type in a number less than 1.000 such as 0.7]

Extrude and scale down again, do this twice
the purpose is to create those three parallel edges, so we can make the indent

select the edge loop in the middle of the three parallel edges and pull them down a little bit [g, z, move the mouse]

Take a look at your cross section drawing. The way to think about this is: where am I going to need edges, to make that shape? You need edges everywhere there is a corner or change in direction of the line you drew.

Since it’s symettrical, we can use extrude to create our edges four at a time.

So, first select the face you want the indents to be in, and extrude it. At this point, we have created four new edges, but haven’t moved them, so they are on top of the edges we selected first. (When we select a face, we also select the edges and verts that make up that face)

Since we want the top surface to remain flat, we use scale to position the new edges where we want them: inside the top surface, on the same plane.

Now we make four more new edges, using extrude, but this time move them down, to make the lower edge of the indent.

Now, our last four edges (extrude again) must be moved back up, and scaled smaller.

If we eyeball that move back up to the level of the original plane, we may be off a little bit. To line them up again, so the top surface is perfectly flat, select all the vertices that should be (but some aren’t exactly) on that plane.

Then scale, z axis, to zero to get them all lined up. This trick works when the pivot point is set to median, if the pivot point is set to the 3d cursor, the verts will all line up at the 3d cursor’s z location (which you can use if you want to put the top plane in a particular spot.)

Okay, thanks very much :slight_smile: now I got it.