A good solution to a common GUI problem...

Ok, some of us here at Blender Artists find that on our ATi Graphics Cards, Blender runs slower than a snail on a piece of sandpaper…

Well, I'm not sure if someone mentioned this to people here at Blender Artists, but there is a solution to this problem other than turning your hardware acceleration almost completely off...

Let me start off by saying that this isn't necessarily a problem with <i>all</i> ATi Cards, but is seems to be a problem with some. Basically, the problem is that ATi's OpenGL Support is quite crummy, compared to Nvida's cards. One of the many fixes were to somehow replace and make compatible a Nvida driver instead of ATi's.

The other solution, was to turn hardware acceleration down to the point that all but basic drawing computations were preformed by the graphics card, thus disabling hardware accelerated OpenGL on the computer, but this solution required the user to continuously revert back and forth between full and limited hardware acceleration depending on the tasks. (ie. Blender and Jahshaka)

Well, I think I have found a new solution that in a way, implies both techniques. The first step in this fix is to download a modded ATi driver, this fix alone will not speed Blender up, this in combination with a tool called ATI Tray Tools will speed it up.

I'm going to start with the Omega Drivers (the modded drivers). You can download the Omega Drivers from [Omega Drivers](http://www.omegadrivers.net/). Be sure that you download the correct drivers. The website is a bit clumsy for my tastes, but the installation of the drivers is really easy. In my past experiences with these Drivers, I've had no problems.

The next step in making Blender run faster, is to download and install a program called ATI Tray Tools. This program is basically a safe and easy to use graphics card tweak program. This program also features overclocking for computers that do not have integrated graphics cards or laptops, this is a safety feature the developers implemented and can be overridden at the users discretion. ATi Tray Tools can be downloaded at [ATI Tray Tools](http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189/). The part that makes this program special is the fact that it has presets for OpenGL and Direct 3D. Plus you can make "game profiles" that automatically change your graphics card's settings to the best setup for the program. In Blender's case, one would set the Open GL setting to Performance, yes you can do this in ATI's catalyst control center, but it doesn't nearly get this fast.

Basically, when setting up a game profile, this is what you will do.
      1)  Right Click on the ATI Tray Tools Icon.
      2)  Click on Game Profiles
      3)  In the resulting menu, click manage profiles
      4)  Everything afterward works a lot like any other program, start making basic changes, then his the little save icon  in the lower right. If you want to have a shortcut to your handy little game profile, click the create desktop shortcut, and a desktop shortcut will be made of your game profile.

I have provided all of my fellow Blenderheads with a screenshot of my configuration I use to get a significant speed boost in Blender…

BTW: For all you attentive people, I’m not running Vista, I’m using Windows Blinds… :slight_smile:

Well, I hope this thread helps all of you guys out there that have had the same problem I did, if you have any questions, you can post here, I’ll have this post monitored.

I hope this works for you guys, I went from 5 FPS at Blender’s Slowest to 50 FPS, so as for me, I’m impressed!!!

Laters :slight_smile:

-Danizzil14

EDIT: I understand that occasionally a driver update will fix the speed issue, but when that doesn’t work, I feel this technique is a good one, albeit it’s lengthiness.

Good deal, dude! 5 to 50 is not shabby at all. Maybe there is hope for ATI yet. I know you’ve helped at least 1 person per week. If they use the search function. Thanks!

Nice! No problem, the switching back and forth with the hardware acceleration bugged the heck out of me, so I went looking for soft-modded drivers, and voila! Omega Drivers popped up, yah know, the Omega Drivers Package came with ATI Tray Tools but on some computers, the one that comes with the drivers causes the blue screen of death, and a reboot! So I went and got the newest version from the official site…

Happy Blendering!!!