a japanese garden for WC (updated top of page)

here is as far as I have gotten,…it’s possible I will have time to add a pagoda and some flowers or something tommorow,…
(this is the updated image btw)
<edit> just to put the below comment in context, the gravel was floating an inch or so above the ground. :stuck_out_tongue:
http://home.att.net/~moton-toybox/jgarden2.jpg

Heh. Maybe it is a magic Japanese garden with a floating gravel path. Good start.

i can’t put my finger on it but there is something terribly wrong with it! :frowning:

nice work though and can’t wait to see it finished. :wink:

The lighting is kinda flat because ambient is too high. Try lowering it and light up the shadows with fill lights.

after looking at it a long time i figured it out!

1. tree trunks need a wood texture (even if they are like birch trees)

2. that grass or plants that are like semi transparent are totally wrong - don’t know what to recommend though.

3. the rocks look like they are floating

4. the sand texture is too gravel like and the waves are too uniform

5. the detail is hidden to much be the mist or fog or what ever you are using. I’d suggest that if you are to use such effect make it look more like sunset or sunrise.

Work on those and this will be very nice! :wink:

thanks guys,…usagi, the flat lighting is actually because of the mist settings. as to the other stuff, it’s simply a matter of not having enough time. for the grass/weeds I stacked my cards by accident, thus the ‘stretched smudge’ look. Didn’t have time to redo them. If you want to get an idea of what i was going for, check out my latest post in the ‘beast’ thread. There were many things I wanted to do, including giving the tree a bark texture, as well as roots, adding many more plants, adding a pagoda in the background, giving the rocks a better texture, etc. but this is the WC, and that’s the way it works. you do what you can get to.
<edit> just to give an idea of what my weeds were supposed to look like, this is the same alpha and everything,…just wasn’t in a hurry at the time.
http://home.att.net/~moton-toybox/beastweeds.jpg