A Linux specific distro for blender?

Hello.

An idea is conquering my mind. I want to configure a Linux distribution from scratch with Blender in the middle of it. I find useful to make you some important questions. They are about your habits when you use Blender. Which kind of configuration do you use,which kind of addons do you use ? Which settings. Which external tools ? I want to reproduce all the informations that I get from you and I wanna use them as a base for the newbies,to facilitate their life when they use Blender for the first time. And also as a base for the more advanced users. Also,I want to try,for example,to make work some useful Windows tools on that linux distro with Wine. I played with wine in the past and I really liked it. I’m sure that if it works,people will enjoy to use it directly on linux and not on Windows. I need to know what are the most important Windows tools that you use everyday because I wanna try to make them work also in Blender with wine or CrossOver. Let’s talk about that.

I think you are starting on a lost cause. Blender is very easy to use on Linux, since you can simply download and run (no package manager needed).

And as for the wine aspect, depending on the base distro the user experience can be very different. For example, I use Arch Linux exclusively, and use the testing repos. This means that I get (very rare) breakages, but I have the most up to date versions. Less cutting edge base distros can hang on to problematic versions longer than necessary.

And more to the point, why would anyone want a Blender centric distro when any old distro will work just as well (with the above caveats)?

1 Like

the idea here could be to make a basic starting configuration of blender to apply in a linux small distro. or even better in more than one linux distro. And also to make different profiles for some other blender profiles that can be used.

I understand your reasons, but I’m not sure it would get the attention, given that it’s so easy to set up on a users own system.

Not to mention that you would have to have a good amount of hardware detection to install the correct packages for each system (gfx, CPU, microcode - though you can install intel and AMD side by side) etc.

Seems like a lot of work for very little gain.

linux isnt meant to be “easy”. you want linux? then git gud. it kinda sucks, but thats the way it is currently.

there has been attempts at making some things easier, but its often overly simple or half-assed. its still a mess getting mouse acceleration turned off.

making a profile is as easy as creating a “config” folder in the blender 2.xx folder. you can have multiple versions with multiple settings.

I’m currently running Fedora 31 in a notebook with a NVIDIA GT740M, and still can’t solve optimus technology for my system (I found Bumblebee project difficult). Installing proprietary drivers is a challenge for me and I can’t get to use CUDA technology properly. A distro that could solve that should be very useful. What am I saying is that a linux distro for Blender would be a distro for graphic/3D users. VFX production companies normally runs CentOS or REHL, but Red Hat support professionals solves those issues individually. If you develop something like this or find some good stuff, please let me know.

Key point is that working nvidia drivers are proprietary and closed source. And Nvidia is not much friendly to linux community.

If there’s an issue with drivers, the only choice is just to try to install and reinstall another version of drivers, or to try some idiotic workarounds, just like in old windows xp. No matter what distro you chose or how cool hacker you are.

Ubuntu isn’t exactly the perferred choice among the hardcore 'nix contingent, but installing the Nvidia proprietary drivers there is a painless process that can be performed entirely through the GUI, without any need to dip your toes into the terminal.

This latest version makes it even simpler, allowing them to be installed alongside the OS before you even boot into it for the first time.

1 Like

Awesome! Incredible! Amazing!

If you’re genuinely qualified to do such a thing, and can pull it off, well I at least, will Salute you!

Just make sure you’re not doing the same thing twice, as other folks, eg:

Why dontyou just get in touch with that guy (he’s pretty cool!), and see if you can just… get whatever YOU want done, on that distro?? …Cuz I , for one, want all that other stuff there - ALL that cool stuff, cool as FUCK! When I ran it on my system, there were some niggles, eg it has a Mac style dock as opposed to classic Bodhi which I don’t like,…there were other thiings screwing up too… why don’t you Fix these, and…add your Blender shit TO it?? :smile: …to me this sounds a Good Thing To Do… up to you :slight_smile:

hey sorry, there’s a newer version:

I had very good luck with Manjaro. I think a lot of studios use CentOs.

what about if I use freebsd ? I see that there is a recent nvidia driver for this os. This choice can mitigate the fragmentation of the linux distributions and all the various problems connected.

or using proton ? https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

What happened to my suggestion??

For the record: a full featured Blender 2.81 is now part of openSUSE Tumbleweed, and will be for the next Leap:15.2 distribution.

@marietto building Blender on Linux isn’t a big deal, the biggest part of the work is getting all the libraries in place, that constitutes a full featured Blender build (and convince the maintainers to accept them in mainline). This is, what I’ve done.

While many people seem to prefer the MacOS model today, that attempts to make most dependencies part of the application itself (e.g. snappy and flatpak packages), I think, that systems managed by a packet manager in its core is, what Linux (and the power of Open Source) sets apart from other platforms. Nowadays, this is accompanied by a build service, that easily rebuilds the full dependency chain of packages, if necessary. The lowest possible overhead is the net result. With all this in place, it’s a snap to roll out 10, 50 or 1000 workstations efficiently.

Besides the packages in the official openSUSE distributions, I offer 4 different blender versions in my repo now: 2.79b, 2.80, 2.81, and 2.82~git, that happily coexist with each other. :slight_smile:

Find more details in this thread.

Mh …
There are many Linux distributions, I did only used a handful.
I guess, most Linux distributions would work.

If you use Linux, make sure your Blender Shortcuts dont clash with Window System Keystrokes.

Some years ago I used an IMac G5, OSX. I just fell for the “its an artists computer” mantra. It did not pay out. I dont know whether Apple changed, but I wont recommend it for any Open Source software. I were stuck with old libraries, and did a Mess with dependencies to get newer libs working. At the end, I had to reinstall OSX to get a clean system. I dont like to be pushed to old open source libs unless I pay an OSX upgrade to get access to newer libraries. I just decided to install Linux on my IMac to get rid of Apples commercial constraints.

(Changed to regular PC with linux after my G5 got thermal damage.)

I use linux mint because everything, latest nvidia drivers and wacom tablets work from scratch

1 Like

Ok. I want to explain what makes me excited. I’m excited by the integration between more tools that are able to work together. I use Blender from 3 years and I really liked it. Until some days ago that I felt tired. Blender is good,but for some kind of stuff it is too much uselessy technical. Actually I’m trying to learn daz studio and iclone 7 with cc3. I like very much also these tools. So,now I dream about an integration between all of these. I want to keep blender for making the indoor and outdoor environements but I like daz and cc3 because it can make very good 3d characters. And Iclone because it is powerful. With it I can do very complicated animations is a fraction of the time. Now the question is : how to pack all those tools (and also a lot of other smaller and bigger tools) in one only package that can be used almost indipendently of the OS used. Right now I’ve thought to try to install those tools (and a lot of other Windows tools) directly on Linux with wine. But now it comes the problem of the fragmentation,because there are so many linux os all around. So,I’ve thought to use freebsd as a base OS,instead of linux. But I’m not satisfied,since many people don’t use that OS,but they prefer linux. So,ok,it comes with another idea. What about to create a custom installation of Windows to run when I’m using Linux ? I’ve been already able to do that,with qemu and kvm. It works well. And I can also use the full power of the my graphic card (nvidia geforce RTX 2080 ti) rendering with t,since I’m using it with the passthrough. The idea is to collecting all the working configuration of those people who have been able to activate the passthrough and put them in a database. The correct configuration will be called depending on the hardware used and qemu with kvm will use those profiles to configure the virtual machine with the customized CG windows installation inside to use in collaboration with Linux. I know,this is a slightly different idea compared to the one I started,but I’ve thought about it and I’ve realized that maybe this will work better. In this way all people could enjoy to use Linux and Blender with a lot of open source tools as first OS And choice and also Windows with all the tools that it can offer. Maybe this is also the way to catch less viruses and trojans.

no no no no PLEASE don’t do that!

A FAAAAAR better idea would be to bombard the makers of those software with a “linux version request”, and just…keep bombarding them. Otherwise they will never do it. If no one had kept this attitude up, Linux, and the THOUSANDS of things you can get for it, would never have happened today.

this kind of answer that you gave to me sounds interesting. you seem to be more like richard stallman,but I have a more pragmatic thinking,like linus torvalds. U think to the spreading of linux. I think only to make something that’s useful for me and for the community.