A Linux specific distro for blender?

In that sense sure. I just refered to OP’s goal of creating something distributable. Any virtualisation of windows would not fit here. A conf file for KVM at most. But the goal should be to not have to run Windows at all. Let alone that it still requires to obtain a license to be on the legal side.

2 Likes

I love the idea !

Justa like there are dirtos for network arch, for dev, for bureautics, for anything…

Make a dist for 3D and ‘crazy things making’…

ahahah you’re crazy man !
but i love this idea :smiley:

for now i do this: Carcassonne Medieval city

my tools:

• Blender —> ( avl on nux ) main creative place. modeling, texturing, organizing… all is centered on blender.
  • Gimp —> ( avl on nux ) 2D texture creation. No need to say more, gimp was born on linux
  • Audacity ----> ( avl on nux ??? ) for all the sound and audio things
  • Unity3D —> ( avl on nux tho i never tried it ) for scene integration, and serious game building just because it targets many platforms.

Ah !!! important !!!

• VLC —> for listenning to my musics when developping :stuck_out_tongue:

side tools ?

• Shotcuts —> ( avl on nux ??? ) for making HD videos
  • Screen2gif —> ( avl on nux ??? ) for… ‘lemme show you what i do’ :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Notepad++ —> ( avl on nux ) seriously… who uses another tool for writing code ?
  • MakeHuman —> (avl on nux ) somewhat useless except for their low poly human model… sent to blender and rigged/animated in it.
  • Shadermap ----> ( forget about nux except with wine ??? ) for playing with textures, bumps, disp, ao…
  • 3DEM —> ( avl on nux ??? ) for terrain importing ( the real work has to be made in unity with scripts :stuck_out_tongue: )

errrr… well i think that…
Apart a big bunch of 2D/3D repositories handling, with such this setup you’ll only miss the famous plugin with the BIG BUTTON: ‘make my game’ :wink:

happy blending and hehehe nuxing :stuck_out_tongue:

im thinking to make a script that install the blenderinux os directly on the hard disk instead of making the qemu / kvm version that it is hard to configure because a lot of hardware specs. what do ya think ?

…and? How’s the distro coming, marietto?

I’ve stopped working on that,since I found a more interesting project : to make work this addon : https://gitlab.com/sat-metalab/blender-addon-openpose/

I have tried many distributions for working with 3d graphics professionally
(exactly professionally, because for amateur 3D there is absolutely no difference what OS you will have)
The main reason is ddl hell. Or binary / dependent incompatibility.
My choice is Gentoo Linux + CG overlay
Gentoo has a high barriers to entry and is not easy to install. This is where the minuses and installations end, and comfortable and convenient work begins.
For those who want to quickly check what I’m talking about, I can recommend the installer and add-on for Gentoo - Calcilate Linux.
CG overlay is my own build repository blender + commonly used application software + addons

sounds good. BTW I’m an ubuntu user. I have no experience at all with gentoo. I would like to have this repo for ubuntu.

it is very difficult, if not impossible, and
believe me)
I’m too in the past Ubuntu user
That’s why I chose a Gentoo

And chances are, if you’re using Blender on Linux for anything that requires serious tweaking you’re probably either an advanced freelancer or studio building your own pipeline and want full control anyway. Blender isn’t always the central part of a pipeline, sometimes it’s just a small part of a bigger picture.

exactly. the whole picture is much much more compartmentalized with different languages and pipelines. I’m not sure that ubuntu is not good. It’s important to lower the level of complexity, at least as regards the operating system, in order to increase usability. i would say ubuntu is more immediate and known than gentoo.

Ubuntu is pretty widely used but most studios in the industry standardize on RHEL or CentOS - or I guess any of the compatible clones - because that’s what industry software usually supports. Maya, for example, could be run on Ubuntu but it’s a pain in the butt because you have to do some work to convert it from RPM to deb. Everyone simply tests on and ships for RHEL/CentOS.

but most of us don’t work inside a studio,so we can build the distro that we want.

1 Like

Absolutely. I actually really love Ubuntu. There are a handful of media oriented distributions based on it too which is great (like Ubuntu Studio, which I’m 90% sure ships with Blender).

for me it’s not enough that the distro ships with blender. I want a customized linux with a blender based configuration settings with all the settings and addons already configured so that each time I should reinstall,I don’t restart from scratch.

Are you really nuking and paving your OS that often?

For what it’s worth, maintaining your own distro is hard. But you could create a base VM with all of your configurations and what not, then convert it to an ISO image you use to flash your hard drive if you need to reinstall. You could also create a bash script that pulls down and unpacks Blender, all of your custom add-ons, and does the configuration for you. It might sound complicated but it’s much easier than rolling your own distro.

I’ve been a user and huge fan of Linux for the last 25 years, but with what’s happening with RMS now, I can’t use it any more (he hit on 18yos at MIT!!). After 25 years it’s over (or it would be if the machine I’m on could actually RUN Windows, or something else). Question is - what do we use now??? Windows is, I assume, still the same heap of shit as it ever was…?

what’s RMS ?

Richard M. Stallman.

I think we should separate the man from the mission here. Even though Linux distros use a lot of GNU software I don’t think a full-on boycott is necessary - Richard isn’t even officially affiliated with Linux as far as I know, outside of the contributions to GNU.

We should be able to hold the idea that what the man has done in the past is inexcusable and still support the overall mission of free software at the same time. It’s not a contradiction, it’s simply an acknowledgement that RMS is not the man to champion the cause (note, this is my opinion as it directly relates to this comment, I’m not intending to start an RMS conversation here).

@marietto RMS is Richard Stallman’s initials, the founder of the Free Software Foundation and one of the most vocal advocates of free software.

1 Like

Free software, yes, but when it’s free software that HE made/started, no.