A little bathroom scene

I’ve been working on this for a while, and I’m finally pleased with it, but that might be because I’m an amateur. Let me know what you think of my first finished piece.
Thanks.

http://www.stephen.davisson.com/tpholder11.jpg

Looks great, but oh the missed opportunity…where’s the guy looking at the end of the roll in horror, sitting there on the toidy reflected in the chrome?:wink:

LOL!!!
Glad to see this go from the testing forums to here. Great job at building a simple scene for the reflections. My only critique is that there’s no variety in the color of lighting…blue, orange etc…it might help a little. Nice DoF though!

Regards,
Tim

Don’t think I didn’t think about that, but I haven’t done any human modeling yet, and I have this thing about everything in my image being created by me. So, once I’ve got a good human model, I might revisit this… :slight_smile:
Would have been good for the BWC:p

I felt the same way about the lighting, played with all sorts of colors, but in the end I liked the clean color corrected version. (I probably wasn’t doing the colors correctly).

pure horror…
(the situation of course, not the picture itself)

I think that the bump on the cardboard is a little exaggerated, otherwise nice modeling and texturing.

archipeep, thanks. I debated with myself about that on occasion, but always wound up fixing something else so I never did any tests on that. I might play with that and repost.

Thanks.

Oopsie, no more tissue. hehe! :slight_smile:

I think you should call the scene “Mayday!!!” Cos it IS kinda scary. :slight_smile:
Love the idea of Eku about the reflection…that would be awesome :slight_smile:

Nice work.
Take care

oh the horror to think that nearly happened to me this morning. good thing I had the presence of mind to check before I sat.

Nice image, but I have to ask why is the dof so abrupt. If you follow along the paper roll it goes from detailed texture to blured pretty abruptly. I think the choice to leave the lights as is was wise. The would be no motivation to add coloured light as the scene is lit by flourescent lights. With lighting I find the best approach is to only do something if it is motivated.

CG-Predator - Good title, I like that. :slight_smile:

tyrant monkey - The technique I used to create the DoF allows you to adjust how abruptly it changes, but I didn’t kow that at the time as it was my first go at DoF. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice it until after I had posted.

i think the cardboard is too shiny, and yes, a reflection is a good idea, like the image “I need money”

ok, this is it, last update… :slight_smile:
I’ve fixed the DoF and removed all specular from the roll (I still think it looks a little shiny)

http://www.stephen.davisson.com/tpholder12.jpg

Try lessening the bump/normal depth. Make it look more flat that should get rid of the shininess.
Are the reflections image based or did you model the scene?

You have very weird reflection/shininess illusion on the roll. At first glance it looks like the cardboard is somewhat reflective, then when I focus on the model’s deformation, my brains get the “big picture” and the shininess disappears. I wonder if PapaSmurf had the same experience?

Anyway, I like the render, good work.

musk - the normal value is set to .3, so I’ll see what happens when I take that down a notch or two. Everything in the reflection is modeled. The cool thing about a warped reflection is that the models in the reflection don’t have to be perfect… :slight_smile:

hhroffren - that could be, now that I look at it, the hi lite on the warped part could be thought of as a reflection of the wall. And, thanks - this was suppose to be something fun for testing, but it’s probably the best thing I’ve done :slight_smile:

I thought I would throw out a quick update. Played with the normals, it’s toned down, I like this a lot better.
http://www.stephen.davisson.com/tpholder13.jpg

And here’s me playing with yafray - not sure if I like this or not.

http://www.stephen.davisson.com/tpholderYAF1.jpg

The bumping now looks a way better IMO.

Where is the floor tile in Yafray render :spin:
And looks like the bump in Yafray are reverted in some way.

How did you make the paper? using “stencil” maps/textures?

Definitively it’s a good scene :smiley:

Best regards

Yeah, I like the bump map a lot better now.
I don’t know what happened to the floor in the yafray render, it’s just a plane with a simple image mapped to it. Yafray just didn’t like it I guess.
The Yafray render looks too harsh to me, but I haven’t really taken any time to work on it, it’s the first time I’ve ever tried to render using Yafray.

The little bit of paper on the roll is just a normal map, it’s part of the same map that makes up the slight cardboard texture. Nothin’ fancy, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the comments :slight_smile: