A little Help with "transitional Wipes"

(Jason H) #1

http://www.cogfilms.com/CQTs-2.html
OK, Heres the deal. I’ve got some text converted to a mesh, and it has a material with blend texture. The Blend texture goes from red to green across the text.

But thats not the Problem.

I want to make the text show up like that cube in the link above, Where a cool affect comes across and it shows up as this effect “flows” (if thats the word to use) over it. Any part not yet touched should stay invisible until the effect reaches it. But I’m lost on Cogs tutorial! its great but I can’t figure out how he got the alpha marble texture and made it go over the cube there.

I’ve been trying for a week to get this figured out, so i figured i’d ask some pros…

Anyway, Thanks for any help any one can give! 8)

(Duoas) #2

What he’s really doing is animating an alpha texture across the screen.

For your text, you can do something similar.

Make sure you have an animation (MOV or AVI) that starts out white and, from left to right, becomes black. The size of the images in the movie should be wide enough to project onto your text.

I would use an empty to project the movie, but no matter how you do it you’ll at least have to add it as an additional texture channel in the Texture panel of the Material Buttons. Map To should only have Alpha clicked. Also, it should be the last used channel (i.e.: list it after any other textures you have applied to your text).

You may need to adjust the texture IPO to animate at the right speed.

This answer is fairly curt, I know. If I’ve left out any important detail let me know.

Hope this helps.

(Jason H) #3

Should help, going to test it right now. I’ll post my results later.
Thanks!

(Jason H) #4

Grr…Back already. i cna’t seem to create a texture to use, and even if i could I can’t understand how I would apply it. I’ll try to post a blend so someone can put things where they go and tell me how to make a texture. I’m a visual learner I cna’t follow instructions onscreen that well :frowning:
Thanks anyway Duoas, I’ll keep trying myself.
Anyone else got an explanation?

(Duoas) #5

Heh, it just takes time.

To create your texture, open a default blend and delete the cube.
[>] Select the camera and press NK1, then press Ctrl-Alt-NK0. Press NK1 again. You may also have to press NK5 to get back to orthographic mode.
[>] Press F10 and set the camera image resolution to something appropriately long and thin (like 800 by 100 or something that has roughly the same ratio as your text). Also, now is a good time to select an appropriate output format, such as AVI RAW or something. Avoid anything with lossy compression such as AVI JPG.
[>] Press Space --> Add Mesh --> Plane.
[>] Press F5 for the Material Buttons. Add a new material to the plane. Set the RGB sliders to 0.0 (pure black). Click ‘Shadeless’.
[>] Click the little ‘earth’ button on the far left for the World Buttons. Set the Horizon RGB sliders to 1.0 (pure white).
[>] Scale the plane to 20 times its size.
[>] Press NK0 to get back to camera view.
[>] Press G and move the plane to the left until just past the edge of the outer-most dotted line.
[>] Press I --> Loc. This adds a location key.
[>] Change the animation frame number to the number of frames you want it to take to have a wipe across the text, plus one. For example, if you want it to take one second at 25 fps, change the frame number to 26 (25 + 1).
[>] Press G again and move the plane until it just passes the right-most dotted line (so that the entire camera view inside the dotted lines is black).
[>] Press I --> Loc again.

Now to render.
[>] Press F10 and set the end frame number to the same number you used above (my example was 26).
[>] Click ANIM.

This will give you a nice, hard-edged, “wipe” animation to use as a texture.
You can soften the edge if you have a nice alpha texture to apply to the plane in addition to the color, to blend into blackness…

To apply the texture, load your scene, select your text, add a new Texture in the Materials Buttons as usual, and in the Texture Buttons just load the AVI or MOV you just created instead of a regular image file (such as JPG, TGA, etc.). You can tweak how the movie texture is used with the Anim and Movie panel on the right.
Make sure to click ‘Calc Alpha’. Back in the Materials Buttons, the Map To should have only the Alpha clicked.

Hope this helps and Good luck.

(Jason H) #6

:expressionless: I’m so close! I added a plane over my text right in front of the camera and clicked calcalpha, and under map to, Iclicked “Alpha”. I also have movie selected.
But when Ianimate, the wipe moves perfectly, but the plane its on is what shows up: Not the text that I want.
Anyone able to see what I’m doing wrong? Ask for any more info you want about the settings I’ve got, I’ll be on here for a while.
EDIT: On the material of the plane I turned that alpha slider all the way to zero too.

(Duoas) #7

The move texture should be applied directly to the text. (The text should be one object.) Forget the extra plane.

Hope this helps.

(Jason H) #8

AHA! That should Do It! I’ll try it as soon as I get home!
Incidently, how would I go about Making a marble texture with one line of marble showing? So that it looks like that cube on cogs Website… thats the effect I’m really looking for.

(Jason H) #9

Ok, I tryed all afternoon to create a movie texture with the Marble texture in blender. I had two planes blocking off the other “lines” of the marble texture so that one was showing. I tryed to animate it with an ofsZ IPO, and Y and X, but all it does is move diagnolly, and not In a side to side kind of motion as i want.
I’m trying to make it so I can make the effect that cube on cogs website has, witht he marble looking texure moving across it and wherever it touches, the cubes faces appear. I got the Text thing I wanted earlier done, so this is my next step.
SO anyway, I’ve failed miserably today by trying it myself, so now I shamelessly ask for help! How can I get this to work? :expressionless: (maybe a little shame…)

(sundialsvc4) #10

I’m envisioning this sort of effect as something that you’d do strictly in post-processing, using a third-party video editing tool or the Sequence Editor.

You’d create two images, in exact registration with one another. One is devoid of the effect; the other has it full-on. And now there is a third, animated, black-and-white image … never seen as such … which is used as a masking input. Where a pixel on the image is black, only image #2 appears; where white, only image #1; where gray, a mixture of the two. And you simply “wash” the mask across.

These kinds of, ahem, “After Effects,” are very cheap and easy to do, because they involve only two-dimensional processing. The best benefit is that you can tweak them. If the effect is not quite what you want, no re-rendering is required.

(Jason H) #11

Umm, makes a bit of sense. Interesting…
Thanks. Any Idea what program I could do this in? Or how to do it with the sequence editor.