A MODO artist learns Blender [Newest video: #7 Parenting]

I’m convinced that we can all rise above petty tribalism and learn to appreciate our differences as opportunities for mutual growth and enrichment rather than as cause for defensive or aggressive behaviour. :yes:

And I fully concur - pitiwazou’s GIF looks super cool! :cool:

From my point of view, blender does not fail. In your video examples, it stops when there are two plausible next edges. It lets the choïce to user when Modo choose one and can fail by choosing the wrong one.
Blender does not guess what you want.
Another example of that is when we do a loopcut it does not continue through Ngons and take the risk to choose a prolongation on the wrong size.
I think it is an appreciable way to remind you weakness or robustness of your topology.

Anyways for an edge path selection, shortest path does also a good job.

Look at the very first example. Or the one at 0:30.

Indeed, in some cases there are two equally plausible next edges - but in other cases the user’s intent is quite clear.
In my opinion, MODO’s tool behaves in a way that’s most likely consistent with the user’s intent much more often than Blender’s.

Ah welcome back Chrisoffner i was beginning to think that you left ba for the luxology forums. Now, let me see what this video is about…normally this type of stuff causes flame wars. Surprised to see that it didn’t

Sent from my SM-G530H using Tapatalk

Why on earth do people insist on using vimeo? I mean… Why? Is Google selling drugs in the background or what? I know I’m not the only one who hates vimeo… Am I?

Sent from my SM-G530H using Tapatalk

I’m hoping my using Vimeo won’t stimulate you to start a YouTube vs. Vimeo flame war and hope you’ll enjoy the videos. :wink:
You can also watch them on YouTube if you prefer:
Video #1
Video #2

Yes, I was not very attentive.

Select Next Active is copied from Modo and available since last release.
A modo’s user point of view is more accurate that blender’s user not yet used to it.

I admit that there are possible improvements in Ngons management.
Blender would act like that on border of a hole but it does not with Ngons.
When next vertex is linked by 4 edges, no problem. When there are only 3, both next edges are plausible.
Here, blender needs an Ngon border priority. But what should be the priority when two Ngons are adjacent.

Modo’s devs have probably resolved this kind of problem a while ago.

I am not really use to work with Ngons and still avoïd them. I hope that new community members will help devs to find solutions about that.

It’s strange because while MODO’s tool does behave more reliably/intuitively than Blender’s, just looking closely at it it still doesn’t behave by the logic I expected. Until now I thought in cases of ambiguity it would always pick the next edge that sits at the smallest angle to the last selected edge, now I’m finding that this is not how MODO actually behaves necessarily:
http://i.giphy.com/l2QZSQ0YedKAYe8gM.gif

I’ve now asked in the MODO forums to find out what logic MODO is using exactly.

Blender should have something similar to this when Severin’s Wiggly Widgets branch gets merged into master (one of the things it brings is the ability to have widgets for all kinds of operators).

It may not be realistic to see it until the 2.8x series though, so there may be a bit of a wait yet.

Some of the same comparisons can be made with Wings3D. Wings still does a bit more of a handful of things much better than Blender’s edit mode, and it parallels Modo in how it handles selection context. Unlike Modo, Wings is FOSS so you’d think a few devs would consider giving it a look-over and doing some code borrowing. But I suppose nobody has the background to translate the algorithms from Erlang to Python or C++, because some of that stuff seems too good to not give a fair shake and port over. (Mostly with edge selection, select similar, and a few things like extra procedural primitives and circularize.) Should be worth trying with a plugin at least.

Dammit, missed opportunity

it’s not keemstar,drama alert material.

you could have made both blender and modo famous if you just ranted about how bad blender’s UI is… and found some way to contrive ISIL or kim kardikshian… or… hang on let me read this next line in google trends…Softball! Yeah softball… into it

Just kidding,

it’s a surprisingly un biased view of both blender and Modo

Just a super quick take on plane creation and orthographic views in Blender and MODO and what I think either side could improve upon:

I think it’s a very good idea that instead of pressing control, pressing the same button again switches to opposite view. Blender already has this concept in edge slide and other grab alternatives. It would reduce the number of keys and maybe I shouldn’t have to resort to a pie menu on a keyboard that doesn’t have a numpad.

I have been also thinking of drawing objects directly onto a surface. Something like a modal Python addon that enables snapping onto surface and instead of manually setting values, simply drawing a plane, cube, sphere or a cylinder. I would probably prefer this.

Nevermind this.

Now so far for the most part MODO and Blender have come out roughly even for me. On some things, MODO had the slight edge, on others Blender had the slight edge. But I just encountered a tool where Blender’s implementation absolutely blows MODO’s out of the water - and that is Blender’s excellent Knife tool. :slight_smile:

while rotating you can use ALT to snap the view at 45% degrees.

Also you forget to say that in Blender you create a geometry where the cursor is placed. I think this is an amazing feature.

for the knife tool you can even cut trhou a shape :wink:

When you enter knife mode, down on the toolbar, there are quite a few additional options. Cut through, snap to midpoints, angle constraint, etc. Definitely one of Blender’s nicer functioning tools.

That multi-slice thing in MODO is surprising to me. Commercial software typically has a better track record about tossing in features in unpolished states.

The knife tool could be better with undo and snap like the line tool from CAD snap utilities addon.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?363859-Addon-CAD-Snap-Utilities

http://pitiwazou.com/screenshots/2016-03-27_10-40-02.gif

The snap is really usefull and the undo too.

Oh, I didn’t forget to say that, I just didn’t get to that yet. Like a million other things I haven’t mentioned yet. :wink:

I will cover Blender’s 3D Cursor when I compare it to MODO’s Workplane and Action Centers. Now MODO’s Workplane and Action Centers are extremely powerful and versatile and I want to make sure I understand the capabilities of Blender’s 3D Cursor more fully and over various aspects of the application before I do the comparison. If you can recommend a comprehensive tutorial on everything the 3D Cursor can do, send it my way so I can get up to speed quicker. :slight_smile:

I was aware of those features but forgot to even mention them in the video because I was already too excited about how Blender’s standard Knife behaviour even without any modifiers trumped MODO’s buggy Multi-Slice. :DIn hindsight I should have mentioned those features as well. I may do a quick addendum on that in the next video. :wink:
Great tool overall!

Indeed that’s what you’d expect but unfortunately recent versions of MODO have not lived up to that expectation. I mentioned some of MODO’s incomplete or unpolished tools here.

btw , you are doing an amzing job here :smiley: