A new eye tutorial for Blender!

Hey everyone!

I just finished making a tutorial on creating an eyeball using blender. I took methods from this,this, and this tutorial.

Please take a look and tell me what you think?

http://web.pdx.edu/~wlf/tut.html

Cheers!

[edit]I am adding a poll to see if anyone actually finds this tutorial useful.[/edit]

nice one! that’s a damn nice eye.

Thanks Modron, I hope that people will get some use out of this. %|

Many thanks for taking the time to help! All I would add would be a bump map on the white of the eye just to break up that spec highlight.

Nicely done.

You spelled my name wrong, and I didn’t write that tutorial, Lyubomir did.

Good work otherwise though.

Gmanx: I thought about creating a bump and spec map but grew sleepy and lazy. Perhaps I will update it this weekend.

Weirdhat: Sorry and sorry and thanks. :wink:

Here’s mine:

http://www.gmanx.com/album/BlendEye.jpg

Keeping an eye on things…

Gmanx did you do it using my tut? Except for the bump map of course.

Looks good by the way, perhaps turn nor down just a touch.

It’s an old eye model of mine, but your tut helped me translate the old mesh and update that and the textures within blender.

Well done and nice eye on things :slight_smile: saw this on CG so jumped here

Thanks Sagat,

I remember reading that people who make tutorials really like to hear positive feedback. I guess now I really understand.

Thanks.

Can you ZIP the entire tutorial into one package? I want to add this to my folder of Blender tutorials.

I have some tutorials too, online. It would be nice to have one giant list of working (preferably recent) tutorials somewhere.

:smiley:

Sure Spin,

do you want me to e-mail it to you?

I decided to manually copy everything from that tutorial to my folder. Thanks anyhow.

Check this out. Animation of the eye, based on your tutorial. I think I’ll need to flatten the IRIS a lot and give it a bumpmap. It looks a bit silky here. I have already added some mild veins, and tweaking it since this video was created.

Click here to watch the EYE BALL

:slight_smile:

Sweet!

well, if you ever need the stuff I have everything all zipped up including the blend and .xcf files. One thing you might also want to add to the iris is an alpha map. That would give a nice sense of depth. Looking at the eye from a side view I don’t think the cornea comes out that much. But thanks for storing my tutorial Spin as I don’t know when the site will go down since I am not going to the university anymore.

Cheers!

Yeah, that cornea is a bit large, but not impossible. I did a google image search to see what the profile of the eye looked like. Does the cornea refract the iris, even on a side view? Should I add extra IOR or no? Well, the anser is the iris is completely shown, even on a side view. I borrowed my kid’s head for a few seconds to verify this.

Now that ALPHA mapping seems like a great idea.

I gather that you noticed that I used two clear textures for the outer layer of the eye.

I have also noticed that you can see the iris from about every angle, including the side view. You have inspired me to return to the eye for a while. I needed a break from the shark anyways.