A new section formakers who use Blender and tools around it: 3d printing, Arduino, Cad, etc

Greetings Admins, Moderators and Users,
During the passing of the years, as many believe, I have moved from modeling and creating scenes representing only images to the making of real objects created with blender and then 3d printed … so I came naturally with the passage of time to get excited at 3d printers, the use of CNC for wood, manual making, the aid of cad tools and the assembly and programming of “robotic” gadgets through arduino and open source etc…
So since I think there will be many people like me who are evolving in this category, it would be interesting if you would propose a new section for the “makers” so that we can exchange useful information on sections concerning blender and aids around it …

This section would also be useful to bring the makers closer together with the 3d Artists, because the thing that I noticed, is that having touched both worlds, I realized that both speak different languages, and for example for a 3D Artist, it results difficult to use cad modeling approaches and precise tools to then get concrete objects and vice versa … and in this sense would emerge more clearly where blender could evolve to better mix these two worlds …

what do you Guys think of this idea?

here an example “magnified” of what I mean more or less :grin:

3 Likes

Generally speaking, I’d like to work towards fewer categories here rather than more. Do you think that perhaps a tag might suffice (#3dprinting, #making, #cnc, or something along those lines)?

I don’t know, I think that if no special areas are created, people won’t know that there are areas dedicated to these “sub-categories” around blender

Among the Makers, there is thingiverse which is very famous and is based on sharing 3d models ready for printing …
There are also groups, but they are more focused on the various “machines” and their possible DIY of them and less on software especially modeling …

If we’re talking about showing work, then I think that the current set of categories in the #artwork section is more than adequate. If we add tags like the ones I mentioned, that should help.

In terms of support, I’m not sure what other category we’d add. If they’re making something to be printed or CNC’d, then they’re still modeling. If they’re writing code for robotics, they’re still coding. What exactly would you add… and where?

I can make you a list of what the makers do

among the makers using 3D printing and cnc’s ther is: crafting, the diy, the engineering of small engineering things, model-making and assembly, electronics and programming especially with Arduino, once the model has been created, for example it is painted, there are the techniques of painting with the airbrush and also the hydrographic printing is cool, it would be a kind of manual texturing.
Cosplay is very popular among makers … look at this and this and and this if we want to exaggerate
then there is the whole field of robotics … obviously …

In short, it’s like opening a Pandora’s box …
the question is how to make this area well structured, it is not just a matter of using which technique or what machinery or software, but of essentially materializing what would usually be done with blender virtually and transmitting it in reality …

the question is how …
and in this over to make a list, I don’t know
:grin:

Been tackling with similar idea, but i believe it needs separate independent platform.

1 Like

Yeah… to hear you describe it, you’re really thinking about a maker-centric forum. I don’t think a single section here would really do it justice… and it’s a bit out of scope from the focus on Blender.

I understand that it might seem too expansive …
But essentially to be concise, the thing that I would like to happen this sort of section, is that to polarize a whirlwind of ideas through the people who share their projects, obviously made with blender, but then also explain the techniques used and exchange the advice on how to best achieve the materialization of these projects …
And in all this my hope is that a part of comunity will be formed that through the experience of the makers will help to develop the blender tools also in this way …
This would be the core of a section of this kind, this would also be my dream :slight_smile:

(actually it is already happening that makers use blender to build some projects, but it doesn’t happen here in the comunity directly)

When we’ve added new sections in the past, it was after we noticed a large influx of people posting on a particular topic that didn’t quite fit in any of the existing categories. That’s typically the best way to go as the “if you build it, they will come” approach rarely ever works.

That being the case, I’d suggest that you encourage makers to share their work here. We can add the necessary tags to have maker-related content more easy to find. If it turns out that there are maker-related topics that aren’t well covered by our existing categories, then that’s when we’ll consider adding new ones.

2 Likes

I fully understand your point of view,
I’ll try, let’s see what happens.
Thanks for the chat

Hello everyone!
If you could find of some interest I posted this in the artwork section:

Artwork section is very “rendering” oriented and could be a good idea to have a workshop category focused on makers stuff.
Maybe its matter of a specific entire forum, but since I recently swiched to Blender and I’d never quit the open source, I would focus on “how make Blender a perfect tool to design real Life object”.
I use also freecad in place of fusion 360, but Blender is miles away and with animationNode/sverchok parametric near cad modeling is possible…

1 Like

MAN, that was just what I meant!
thank you for sharing your work!
Makers all over the world, show yourself, I know you are there!
#3d-printing

Good to know! There’s a lot to dig about Blender manufacturing… Let’s see, maybe we could just start with a general topic inside modeling category

2 Likes

Probably not the best call since Modeling is in the Support section, which isn’t built for general topics.

Ok! Then I think I ll go soon with a #3d printing post in the “working in progress” artwork… Indeed a 5 meters long artwork… All fmd printed and above all 100% made in blender… The structure will be designed in a parametric way using animation node or sverchok… I have to speriment about It, but in blender is possibile to work structure and sculpture togheter… Very interesting workflow…

2 Likes

really? it’s a mammoth job …
and how long will it take you to 3d print something like this?

anyway … it would be interesting if in this work in progress you would make us a basic description of the processing steps
so to see the reaction of other users on this type of work
:muscle:

P.S. the other day in the off-topic section there was talk of why women are not attracted to the CG… looking around, and making comparisons, I believe that women are more attracted to the material aspect … in fact many works that I saw around, then materialized in 3D print or other, many were carried out by women.

Finally summer has arrived and I can start working on personal project…
Lifesize plioplatecarpus on the way…

1 Like

@Fweeb @bartv

I noticed that the works of people who post their 3d printed projects begin to grow by clicking on the tag “3d printer” tag, but few notice it …
myself, that being interested in this section often escapes me the jobs that people add …
I would like to make a proposal, how about adding a “3d printed projects” section under Artwork that is simply a binder of tags on 3d printing?

That’s functionally the same as a category and I’m still of the mind that we should generally be reducing categories here rather than adding them.

People do, in fact, use and notice tags. My only suggestion would be that if you see a post that you think should have the #3d-printing tag, either PM the original poster an gently recommend that he or she add the tag to their post or (if that doesn’t work), report the post and ask the moderation team to do it.

1 Like

My impression is that there are people who are practical with 3D printing and blender, who are obviously a minority, and they post their jobs. But I also know that this type of work is not very commented, this means that the other blender users have little culture with 3d printing … From this I deduce that many other potential users that would be interested, not seeing a section dedicated to 3d printing projects, even if there is the #3d-printing tag, they simply think that Blender Artists does not accept this kind of artwork.