A picture of a picture of a hamburger on a screen with pretend pixels

Just for fun I decided to model a screen with pixels using Cycles again, this is the result… looks very low-quality because I found using 800x600 pixes (with 9 faces per pixel) was too much for my machine, I ended up doing 320x240. I guess this technique would be good for anyone trying to make a VERY realistic iPod or cell phone or something of that nature, but you have to be ready to devote 100,000s of faces to just the screen. XD

there isn’t any easier way to achieve this?

I tried the same thing, ended up rendering the screen picture on its own and using that as a texture. It took 2.6Gb mem and almost a million faces.

I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but here is my result, tried for an old crt tv look:

it’s not very hard, you just make arrays of pixels, which are comprised of red, blue and green planes with emitter materials. Then, you do a UV map from view, and give each emitter material the same texture. Use the texture, split by RGB, to modulate emit strength via the appropriate color channel. That’s really about it. Resource-intensive but really simple to do.

Why so many faces? You can use one face. All that you need is a good peace of repeated texture for masking colors.

This looks great :slight_smile: but how did you compose the picture of the hamburger from the pixels?

@vklidu: huh, good point. Haha, I guess I did it the really slow way. But still, it was easy to construct, just uses a lot more RAM…

e: I tried that method and it works just as well. However, it seems to create worse moire patterns for some reason. I think it might have something to do with texture filtering, which there are no options for in Cycles.

@michal the hamburger is just a texture applied to all of the pixels, which turn on or off depending on the color of the texture at that point.