A Plethora of Questions

Ok, I have accumulated a few questions about blender, and Im going to go ahead and ask them all here.

First, in fluid simulation, how do I make the collision meshes more precise so that a colision isnt detected half a blender unit away from the actual mesh?

Next, lets say I wanted to have a vase fall to the floor and shatter, how might I go about doing that? obviously the shard movement could be handled with hardbody physics, but the actual fracturing seems difficult, do I have to pre model the vase as being made of many parts and let the collision seperate them (that seems imensly inefficiant)?

Now a particle question, I have a picture here of a clip from “kingdom hearts 2”'s intro (Im a fervent video game player), it features a fairly complex particle effect, and I just want to know a little about how it could be imitated in blender, as I want to do something like it sometime. (http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kh2ib3.png <- picture)

And finally, YafRay doesnt support blender particles, but it has very nice object rendering, so theres a bit of a trade off, good particles, or good mesh renders, is there any way to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for being overly demanding in one post.

First, in fluid simulation, how do I make the collision meshes more precise so that a colision isnt detected half a blender unit away from the actual mesh?

The only way to avoid it is to increase the bake resolution.

As regards YafRay and particles,the best solution is to composite your scene–particles in Blender native render, the rest in YafRay. Test any particle interaction in a test-render first. Render the scene in YafRay, then reder it again in Blender native with only the particle objects visible, and using an alpha (should work with particles right?) to let you drop thm onto the Yafray plate in Jahshaka or AfterEffects…

there is no way for blender to know where the porcelain imperfections are, or the strength/thickness/mass to calculate where the vase will split. Model the vase, then use the Fractal Subdivide function (one click should be enuf) to easily chunk it up into pieces. Then seParate all the pieces. It would be interesting at this point to see what the physics engine does.

The Kingdom Hearts pic is really cool - “awe” comes to mind as a title. Anyway, animated cloud texture with alpha decreasing on moving and expanding spheres comes to mind, not particles. Most games stuff is that way, because particle systems are so cpu-intensive.

just run both image sets (avi’s) into a Mix node, possibly using even an alphaover to put the mist ontopof the yafray pics.

Ok, sorry for letting this much go by without checking back, thanks for the advice. And RogerWickes, just to say, I didnt mean I wanted blender to acuratly break the vase as physics would have it, but simply to break it for me, I was hoping that there was some non manual method, really it was lazyness, but I see how to do it now. Oh, and also, the kindom hearts 2 picture is from a pre rendered scene, and if you actualy watch the video, you can really see where particles would be necessary, really the image quality doesnt do it justice, my real question was about the sort of… I dont even know a word for it, smokey, I guess effect, where tendrils of a gas extend from the central cloud, usualy forming arches, you can see it in the image, but heres the video (its on YouTube, so the quality sucks) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtTdMTMajm8, that part is at 2:25, but really the whole thing is worth watching, rendering that thing must have taken either an insane amount of time, a really nice render farm, or both.

P.S. dont try to make sense of the video, I get the idea it was made to be confusing, or at least is if you havent played the previous games

A “breaking vase” effect would depend very much on just how much detail of the moment-of-impact you actually require. I think that “less is more” in such sequences, although we tend to see “more.”

Generally, I envision the sequence using two strips of film. One consists of a solid model, dropping straight down through the floor-plane and disappearing. The second consists of an animated hail of fragments, including whatever “splitting apart at the point-of-impact” that you care to do. Between the two there must be an animated mask which controls where we see the solid-object and where we see the fragments.

Each fragment must be animated so that it is precisely in-alignment with the solid model, falls with it down to the point of impact, then flies away.

A small amount of simple animated-particle “dust” can account for the chunks of valuable porcelain which are not worth individually animating.

Personally, I’d “make it fast and make it quick.” Resist the urge to slow-mo. If you can manage to do that:slight_smile: … the animation will be much, much easier because, at 24 or 16 fps, it’s all over in a few frames and should look quite realistic.