A Proper Keymap for Blender

1, You can’t get those toggles back. They are hardcoded to work only on Blender’s default keymap. They aren’t exactly some software toggles, they are just kind of “presets” of very specific keymap changes. Blender developers themselves know how buggy and messy keymap editor is, so they added these at least for default keymap so that when users want to change some basics, they don’t have to interact with the actual buggy keymap editor.

2, Yes, when Blender updates, I will have to update this keymap too. That being said, changes that break the keymap are rather rare, so I expect this keymap to be functioning well for a while since 2.8 UI is locked.

3, Addon just adds necessary custom pie menus used, such as spacebar view change pie menu. You can open the addon .py file in text editor of your choice and look inside. You will just see definitions of pie menus :slight_smile:

4, The knife tool has different modes useful in different situations. Blender just does not display modifier operator properties right in the keymap entry name. Use the sheet in original post for that.

1 Like

Thanks for the fixes, could you also update the google doc please? And, in a future release, is it possible to have Cut tool / E=new cut available again?

Orbit in sculpt mode doesn’t work anymore. Ctrl+LMB is Lasso masking and even this is problematic as I can’t find unmask key.

I will fix that.

It has been fixed, along with a few more tweaks.

What exactly do you mean by cut tool? Which one?

Hi,
On recent blender build there is an issue with the selection and gizmos.
Quote from blender weekly notes: “Gizmos now activate on drag after a small distance, which allows clicking to select items behind gizmos. There are now separate drag thresholds for mouses and pen tablets.”
This feature worked great with your keymap and blender 06/06/19 build, but on recent build single click turn on gizmo manipulation instead of selecting object under the gizmo.

Thanks,

1 Like

I will investigate that, thanks!

1 Like

Hey guys, I would like to customize my hotkeys by adding some new hotkeys,
but if I understand correctly, I cant pick assign a hotkey by picking a command but I have to write that command down.

Is that right?
If so, where can I find all those commands? Is there a list?

Everything else is confusing just as much.

Thanks!

Hi, it’s fixed now, just re-download the file :slight_smile:

You can assign most of the shortcuts via right click menu in the UI, and then find them in the keymap editor. Not all though, for the rest you either have to dive into python API or reverse engineer the stock keymap (which is what I did).

As I said, current Blender’s keymap editor is really bad.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you!

Also I have just found that in Image Editor, Double click do not “Select linked” as expected but “Select more”.
Hopefully Blender will freeze the UI and keymap config so You dont have to make changes on each build…

Anyway I really appreciate your work, as finally blender keymap has sense.

Double click should select edge loops in UV editor. I will fix the google sheets description if it’s wrong. The change to Maya style means that edge loops are no longer alt+lmb but double-lmb. And that needs to be consistent across all editors.

I see, ok no worries,
Thanks,

Hi,

I’ve added a new small update which fixes O key (proportional editing) in mesh edit mode.

Remove humor from thread and apologize to thread owner!

how’s that related to the thread topic?

The alien part but sorry if you feel offended i can remove it!

I have no issues with humor. I was just confused because I did not notice it was response to 5 month old post I’ve forgotten about :slight_smile:

No problem my friend and you are right i should not derail any thread even with humor since if everybody start doing this then Blender artist forum would lose credibility very fast, my mistake but when i saw the funny comment about aliens i just couldn’t resist.

Again sorry about my behavior and i can ask a moderator to remove all my posts from your thread to keep it clean if you would like to just pm me.