A Public Appology (To IE users)

It has been a long long time since I have partaken the Trials and Tribulations of Internet Explorer. I have been a hardcore FireFox/Mozilla fan since before I knew of Blender (at least 2 years or more 8) ), and I would like to publically appoligize to anyone using IE for one simple cause that hadn’t arisen to my attention until just now:

I.E. doesn’t support Transparent PNG’s on Websites!

So for however long my Avatar has been up on these forums (And I know its been there a while) users of Microsoft’s Software of evil have been seeing a white block where nothingness should be. I want to appologize for disgracing ElYsiun in such a way.

So, to view the world in all its wonder: Use FireFox: www.getfirefox.com

Just wanted to help in the advancement of… My Avatar…

Hold on Tight,
Ongnissim

BTW, IE7 will support this, but its officially only in Vista beta build ATM, so you cant do it till June 8) so join in on the OS solution

there is a glaring error in your statement

IE for WINDOWS doesn’t support png alpha transparency, it does on the mac. Users of IE for unix were unable to be reached for comment.

[also, since the background color for that region is known, why do you need alpha transparency?]

in response to dittohead below: IE 5.5 or later can use a directx extension to get alpha transparency for images, but this can’t be done with background images [so you need some hackery to make a real image of your background image…].

There is a glaring error in both your statements: IE/WIN does support PNG transparency.

It just requires some proprietary CSS. :wink:

Eh, that’s like saying that win32 supports POSIX… through cygwin!

Martin

Eh :smiley:

Yup, encountered this myself in the past also.

Transparent PNG files made in GIMP or Photoshop do not show properly in IE6 at all. More-often-than-not, they present themselves on a white background.

View same image on a webpage using Firefox, and hey-presto… it’s all good. :smiley:

The very fact that IE6 doesn’t play nice with PNG images is why I have always been reluctant to make any web-page material with PNG content because I know Firefox users are safe, but not IE users.

And of this proprietry CSS code one is said to be able to use. Can someone post a URL link to a webpage hosting a transparent PNG file WITH this super-duper CSS code in it?

I’d personally like to see a transparent PNG file that I can view through IE6 %|

How about “If you want to see alpha on this website, switch over to FireFox to see it”

try this:

http://forum.stylegala.com/about2238.html

Eh, sorry about that- I have no Macs at the ready- and besides, who uses IE on Mac anyways? Isn’t Safari good enough? (Last statement full of guesses)

Question: Does Opera support Alpha? (out-of-the-box) And if so, Why didn’t Microsoft include it in IE6? (Opera being based off of the IE code)

And alpha saves me the time of looking for the 515151 hex code of this site- and I use it on more than one forum as well.

Hold on Tight,
Ongnissm

yes, opera supports alpha

Why didn’t Microsoft include it in IE6

hoho, hehe, haha!

That’s like asking… well, I’ll let you guess.

Anyway PNG alpha transparency has been around since before IE6 was released and I think it was actually supported in IE5, but to expect any sort of answer why they did this would be crazy.

Another problem with PNGs in IE is that when saved with Gamma, they display darker than they should. For example create a 100x100 image of a solid colour in the GIMP and save it as a PNG without Gamma. Then either save it with gamma, or open Photoshop and save the image again as a PNG.

Open both images up in IE and notice the different brightness levels. You could also compare the darker PNG to a GIF version.

I downloaded IE7 once and tested their so-called “support”, and noticed that while they fixed the alpha problem they still haven’t fixed the gamma problem.

He might use it on multiple websites, in which case the color varies. Also, what if any one of those websites changes their background color? Or what if the background color for some of those websites can be custom for logged in users?

IE6 does not support a alpha channel for PNGs (they go brownish)
IE5- supports it,
You can post a small script on your page containing a PNG that enables the browser to properly render PNG alpha.

also, since the background color for that region is known, why do you need alpha transparency?
because the site’s design can easily change without having to re-save and upload thousands of images, and the image can be used on a broad range of sites, for example think of a logo /branding, one file for many sites.

Another problem with PNGs in IE is that when saved with Gamma, they display darker than they should. For example create a 100x100 image of a solid colour in the GIMP and save it as a PNG without Gamma. Then either save it with gamma, or open Photoshop and save the image again as a PNG.
photoshop cant even save gamma properly. and from what i was aware, IE supports PNG fully except for the alpha.

IE supports PNG fully except for the alpha

Doesnt fully support it, then does it?

They’ll probably brand it as a new feature. That has never been done for IE6

God! The lies! :stuck_out_tongue: Opera is NOT based on ie code, if anything, ie is based on opera code!

Both are based on the granddaddy of them all: Mosaic.