A quest gone awry

Rendered in cycles. some of the textures are done in substance painter, like the skeleton and the artifact. The knight is mostly a generic metal shader cause it was way too annoying to lay out the uv in a neat way.

Finally finished a personal project. I have been working on this one day here and one day there for like a year now. Feels nice to finally be finished with it.

Here is the project on my artstation.

43 Likes

I really like thisā€¦ makes me want to watch the movie.:smile:

2 Likes

This composition looks good. The models look good. Nice rendering.

Hehe, that would be fun, but just this frame took about 13 hours (damn volumetrics) so be ready to wait a few years.

nice work , i like the hard work youv put into this,
the skiletons looks very great modeld,

Lots of good things to say about this piece, but the composition is really itā€™s strength. Everything is placed with care and purpose and it really comes through.

1 Like

Youā€™re #featured! :tada:

2 Likes

Thank you! Itā€™s an honor.

1 Like

Replace the sword with a guitar and you get, ehh, death metal? :smiley:
Great stuff, but with the thumbnail I immediately got the impression of a guitar.

1 Like

Try The Fountain. :slight_smile:

bolero, did you rig your skeletons so that they look this ā€˜realisticā€™ ?
itā€™s a niceā€¦ nahā€¦ beautifull work !!!
congrats !!!
i wish it were realtime playable in engines like unity :wink:

Woooooow! Really niceee! The mood is so intense and create the real feelings <3 Post the making of screens (materials, mesh, other camera shoots, etc) please!

Some dirt and decay on skelets would look nice. Its already a stunning image!

Have you tried using a Z-depth pass and then do the volumetric in post? Perhaps worth a try to see if thats faster

1 Like

There is some dirt on them, but I kept it pretty subtle, I like how they pop. But maybe they should have a bit more.

I did try it, and itā€™s a loooot faster without it and it almost looked the same. But there are some subtle godrays in there and it softened everything up in a way I couldnā€™t exactly replicate , so it was worth the extra render time for me. But if do a animated render I will turn it off.

Yeah its ball breakerā€¦ the real deal or fake it.

I guess using a Z-depth pass and some manual painted ā€œGods Raysā€ would be nice as well. Most be much faster as well

Nicely done ā€¦ just joined tonight and was browsing and had to compliment you on a fine piece of work.

1 Like

Love it! Ahh this brings me back to playing Ghost and Goblins <3

Thatā€™s fantastic (literally and figuratively)! Did you render the background in a separate renderlayer and composite the two? I particularly like how all the mid-ground is sharply in focus and the rest is soft focus. Did you use the denoise feature at all or just butt-loads (technical term :stuck_out_tongue: )of samples?

CC: one thing that sticks out to me is that the skeletons are a bit too clean

Itā€™s just one renderlayer. I donā€™t like working with renderlayers in blender so I avoid it most of the time (on of the things I look forward to in 2.8). I cranked up the samples a fair bit bit there was still some noise in bright blurry areas so I just wenā€™t over it with a blur brush in krita. Unless Iā€™m doing something wrong it doesnt seem like the denoiser work on noisy volumetrics very well.

1 Like