A question about the fill tool

Hey all :slight_smile:

I’m working on modeling a simple book and I’ve gotten this far:

Underwhelming, I know, but that’s why they call it a work in progress, right? :wink:

Anyhow, when I go to fill in the sides of the book I end up with what I believe to be little distortions in the planes

It’s subtle, but I’m worried it’ll effect the look of the book later on when I apply textures etc.

Is there a way to more effectively fill the area between vertices, or is my method (selecting verts and f key) just fine and the “distortions” won’t show up in the render?

Thanks for any advice!

Its because you have shade smooth turned on… try in the mesh properties tab (in between the material tab and the modifiers tab) enabling auto smooth and changing the angle to something like 50 (play around with it)

Use Edge split modifier. Play around with Split Angle until it looks good to you.

Turning smooth shading off helped, but when smooth shading is on the edge split modifier really does the trick. Thank you both!

I prefer to do it in the mesh properties tab instead of the modifier tab… they will end up with the same result… the only difference is that one does not use modifiers, and if an object uses modifiers it cannot be instanced properly.

I agree, I’ll probably end up not using the split modifier when possible