A Scientific Frog animation using Eevee

Hey everyone! It’s been years since I’ve posted here. I’ve been using Blender in my role as a science communicator for the past 18 years at Oregon State Univeristy, and I wanted to share my latest project using Eevee.

This started as a Cycles animation, but the turn-around time was meant to be 2 weeks. With each frame taking around 40 seconds to render on a GTX2080, it became neccessary to take the plunge into the new real-time rendering engine and the new interface in Blender 2.8. I was able to drop the render time down to an average of 4.5 seconds per frame!

The animation ended up taking 3-1/2 weeks with learning the new interface, the new scene management workflows, and various other things that came up at work.

The various skills I used in producing this animation:

• BOIDS for the tadpole movements.
  • Cloth soft-body physifcs for the floating oak leaves, and for the plastic sheeting surrounding the track.
  • Rigid-body physics for scattering pine needles on the track.
  • Non-linear action editor for the frog jumps.
  • Math for constraining the mucky water volume to the shape of the tubs (Eevee only renders cube primitives for volumes, but volume density can be defined in 3D space within the material shader).

It took a few days to get used to the new left-click select and the right-click specials menu. In my opinion, the best thing to learn about in 2.8 are the new Collections, and how they can be linked to different scenes.

So, do you any feedback on modeling, texturing, lighting, animation, camera movement, timing, etc? Thanks!

2 Likes

I only got to the conclusion - nature takes care for over consumption in case of less resources :wink:
basically, nothing bothered me from technical POV :slight_smile: nice job