A series of questions

can someone answer these questions in this order:

1. How to real time texture paint (Please don’t say “look at the tutorial” Because I’ve already tried everything. After the object is subdivided a few times, it lags like crazy to RMB the object (after it’s textured). And for some strange reason, it only shows up in render. In the game engine it shows up as a gray (default material) material with a speckled black like area wherever the alpha brush was used.

2. How to apply lighting to an object with a UV texture. My textures in game engine (UV) have always been shadeless. Lately that’s been a serious problem. I’ve seen many people use UV textures and still use the lighting system. (I’ve even seen radiosity in game).

3. Is there any way to use linv (linear velocity on the motion actuator with servo control on) without having the sliding issue? Or possibly an alternative that can avoid walking through walls or having the “Slingshot effect” as I’ve named it. The “Slingshot” refers to when you use Dloc, say, for an RPG character; And you have him walk into a wall. The force builds and builds as you walk into the wall. And when you let go of the Dloc button, the character/object is shot in the opposite direction and slowly slides to a stop. If there’s a way around this I’d love a reply

4. A camera that won’t go through walls but instead travel up the Z axis along the wall until your object/character is colliding with the wall.

Are there any moderators out there that can answer these for me?

(Maybe there’s a reason why there’s so much lag when I put Realtime texturing+5-6 subdivisions when I click (RMB) the object.
Thanks!

1. Texture paint is a method to create a texture. You can find the result in your texture bitmap. That has nothing to do with the game engine. If the texture is not displayed while running the BGE there is something wrong with your materials. Maybe you missed to switch to texture view. I can’t tell.

2. Blender’s radiosity is precalculated vertex color. It calculates the color of the vertices nothing else. Is not realtime lighting.
    There are some settings that you can check:

• after UV mapping check the texture face panel <F9> and enable “Light”. Do not forget to press “Copy” or you change the active face only.
  • If you use materials, disable shadeless, enable “TexFace” etc.
    Just play around with that.

dLoc “teleports” your object it does not move it. If you teleport into a wall…you see the results.
linV sets the speed of an object. As a car it is difficult to bring an object to full stop. As 0.0 is ignored, you can set a very small velocity e.g. 0.001 (doesn’t matter which direction. The object should stop right fast. Make sure the small velocity is applied just once.
force applies a force to the object which makes it move and produces velocity (dependent on the mass).
Check the http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/GameDoc/Movement/Movement_Servo_1.html for an alternative way.

Why do you need a moderator?

Subdivisions = lots of faces = bad performance.

I hope it helps

link 404’d,

moderators usually give more detailed answers

I edited the link. For whatever reason the the parser included the following word.

Just to let you know. The purpose of a moderator is not to know everything, but to keep the forum organized. Moderators are removing spam, moving threads into the right forum and provide some guidance how to behave.

But you are right, moderators are usually members that have a long history with the BA forum and Blender. But we have a lot of very experienced members in this forum that are not moderators. You shouldn’t exclude them. You could miss some good points.

Well I’ll be sure not to under appreciate the community ;), but what do you think about number 4? I always have issues with the camera getting stuck in objects/walls. It detracts from the fun. Is there any answer to that? A great comparison to what I want would be the PS1 game syphon filter. The camera just sits at the wall until the character walks up to it. Then it looks like the character loses half of his alpha. either that, or sliding up will do. Is there any way to do either?

Alpha is difficult, as you need to make all faces alpha. It would mean you can look inside the caracter as well. Another point is a lot of fading alpha hits performance.

I do not know an easy solution. You can look at YoFranky. I think what they do is the send a ray from the camera target (usually the character) to the cameras preferred position. If the ray hit something the camera is placed at the hit position. That means the camera “zooms” to the camera until the blocking object is not seen anymore.

You could do a similar thing with rays and trackTo forcing the camera to go up. But I do not have a perfect solution.