A Simple Keymap for Blender

Hi,

following the (lack of) success of my Standardized Keymap for Blender, I’ve created an evolution of it, which I call a “Simple Keymap for Blender”. While the idea behind the old one was to convert all the hotkey bindings Blender’s default keymap had to something more aligned with the industry standard, and remove most of the weirdness, the new keymap no longer tries to preserve all the key bindings at the expense of simplicity.

This new, simple keymap is still focused on making Blender feel as similar to other software out there, but the amount of bindings was significantly reduced. On top of that, I’ve tried to eliminate most of the complicated Ctrl+Alt+Shift kind of hotkeys, focusing the most used hotkeys either on 1st level keys, or key combos with just one modifier key. Furthermore, the most common features in all of the Blender’s editors are now focused in the close proximity around the left Alt key, making it very easy and comfortable to use.

In a nutshell, this keymap is easier, faster, more comfortable and more efficient to use than Blender’s default keymap. Many of the related tools scattered into individual operations are also grouped under pie menus. This keymap is ideal for anyone who wants Blender to feel like a normal piece of software without all the weirdness, yet without sacrificing any of the efficiency of the default keymap. It is still a complete overhaul. I did not leavy any stone unturned, and every single part of every editor was overhauled. Even the most obscure ones.

You can grab the keymap HERE.

And you can look at the key assignments here:

Installation instructions:

1. Download and unzip the keymap
  2. Take two .py addon files in the addons sub folder and put them in your Blender addons folder (By default C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons on windows)
  3. Launch Blender
  4. Go to User Preferences, Addons tab, search for Essential addons and enable “Essential Utilities” and “Essential Pie Menus” addons.
  5. Switch Input tab, choose select with “Left”, click “Import Key Configuration” and load the SimpleKeymap.py
  6. Go through the key binding list and click “Restore” button anywhere you see it.
  7. Switch to “Editing” tab of User Preferences and enable “Release Confirms”
  8. Click “Save User Settings”
  9. Optionally, check the “Recommended” section of the sheet linked above for a few more things that will make this keymap behave even better.

That’s it. If you find any issues, let me know and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Special thanks goes to cgstrive (Jüri Unt) for helping me with the scripts to make this keymap work.

Have fun! :slight_smile:

PS: I plan to port it to 2.8 as soon as 2.8 Tool system works with left mouse button. Right now it doesn’t, as there are a few things still hardcoded.

7 Likes

Thanks for this man. I tried myself to make it but I found a couple of limitations. I reported that in RCS. I might give it a try and see how I feel even tho I would have to change a few of them. What are the addons for?

One facilitates all the necessary pie menus, other one takes care of popup-less delete, changing functionality of WER keys based on if the (Q key) gizmos are enabled or disabled, and scene wide toggle of wireframe on shaded display. You can open the .py addon files and have a look. There’s very little of it.

If you start to change the keymap around though, I can not guarantee it will work well anymore. I’ve spent a lot of time making sure everything is consistent between editors and there are no conflicts. Even a single chance can break consistency between various modes and editors, so be careful.

Thanks for the info. The thing is I do have addons that are already using some of the shortcuts probably. I need to see what works and what not. I have to either try and change a few things or not try at all. Do you have a list of unused shortcuts? I read you said you left out most complex modifier combinations, right?

Yes, I did, also on the first tab of the sheet, on the very left, you can see the list of unassigned hotkeys in 3D viewport editor I am using for addons, so you are free to use them for yours. Those are free first level keys (without any modifiers keys) but there are many more free key combos. To find them, you can open keymap editor and search by binding, to see what’s free:

Aside from those first level keys listed in the sheet, in 3D view, quite a few Alt hotkey combo near left Alt are free, (except for pose mode), like Alt+W, Alt+R, Alt+E, Alt+X. Some Ctrl hotkey combos too, like Ctrl+X.

Oh I missed those. Will report back about what I ended up doing. Thanks again.

Oh, actually I forgot to mention that D key is not free, that was my mistake. It does grease pencil drawing in object mode, and extrude in mesh edit mode. I just don’t use grease pencil so I replaced it with DecalMACHINE for object mode :slight_smile:

I don’t use the pencil that much either. Thanks for telling me.

I’ve just now updated the sheet with all the 2nd level (1 modifier key) letter keys that should not interfere with anything in 3D view, including any of the 3D view sub modes (mesh edit, sculpt, vertex paint, armature, pose, etc…) :slight_smile:

1 Like