A Sketch A Day (updated 20th Aug)

Minor update, trying to draw cloth :slight_smile:

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Ah, cloth isn’t so bad, it’s just a matter of seeing the value shifts, which are both abrupt and subtle. Getting that figured out is pretty much the battle. Its hard to crit your work when there isn’t too much cloth-type parts in it. You may want to render some from life instead of a stylized pic.
Oh, and do it with charcoal.

Thanks for the reply, sausages.

Ah, cloth isn’t so bad, it’s just a matter of seeing the value shifts, which are both abrupt and subtle. Getting that figured out is pretty much the battle

True, it’s difficult (for me at least) to get away from seeing objects and starting to see shades, colours etc. Cloth is just, well, cloth. I’ve not thought properly about how it folds, how this affects the shading, where it’s sharp and where it flows. One of these days

Oh, and do it with charcoal.

Hmm, sounds like fun. Why do you suggest charcoal (I’ve never used it myself).

Oh, and more drawings!

The black & white piece was a random pic yesterday, I’m not at all happy with it but I promised myself I’d release whatever I did draw (so I can look back when I’m hopefully better).

After the recent blendernation article I had a go at alchemy. Great fun, really good for when you’ve no idea what you want. From starting alchemy to constant smudging in gimp was probably about 1 1/2 hours, so only a quick one here. I’m reasonably happy with it, it’s not great (I’m not even too sure what it is) but I’ve not copied it from anywhere so that’s quite a nice feeling.

Not exactly one a day, but still trying to do more :slight_smile:

Thanks for looking,
Ian

Attachments