A strange dome

this picture come from this topic:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53724&highlight=
name : A strange dome
Software:blender;yafray

http://194.116.124.4/~francal/render/a_strange_dome.jpg

any suggestions?

what do you think?

Very nice looking image, you did a good job.

I do have a few thoughts. Why is there grass only on the ‘backside’ of the dome? Is it worn out by visitors?

I would model some bumps into the sides of the cliff, or get a better texture. To me it looks very filtered, allmost out-of-focus.

But don’t get me wrong, all-in-all, very nice.

It has potential to become a very nice image, but I think you need to
work on the material colors and lighting.

Right now - the color difference is too blatant, you need the colors
to be more “subtle” and not so “perfect green, perfect white” etc…
take a look at real life and how light affect colors and various
materials. (imho)

how did you approach modelling the rock? is it displaced?

The individual elements look very nice, but they don’t integrate together. The dome looks like it’s floating slightly above the grass, the rope bridge doesn’t have the same technical-style beauty as the dome, and the lighting is coming from entirely the wrong direction!

The light should come from that big shiny thing in the sky, just like in real life :smiley: Right now it’s coming from the opposite direction that it should.

Some great stuff in here – the grass is well done, the whole idea is clean.

just beautiful =)

nice job! :slight_smile:

I have to do better:

[quote=JoOngle]material colors and lightin

[quote=ScooterL]
1.The dome looks like it’s floating slightly above the grass

1. the rope bridge doesn’t have the same technical-style beauty as the
    dome,

2. the lighting is coming from entirely the wrong direction!
    (The light should come from that big shiny thing in the sky, just like in real life Right now it’s coming from the opposite direction that it should.)

you’re right that problems need to be done
maybe after adjusting those problems render the image with the glow effect/plugin in the sequence editor

That should give nice result! :wink:

The grass on the bottom edge of the cliff should be removed, it looks
odd comming out the side of the cliff.

I’d also consider moving things so that we don’t see so much of the
edge of the little island/outcropping whatever you want to call it.
I’d try to make it so that the edge of the grass lined up with the bottom lefthand corner of the image. (if that makes sense).

Doesn’t look like you used AO at all; image might benefit from it.

Also, I’d take a careful look at the notes above on lighting; a much stronger light from behind would make this image more interesting, more appealing. Then again, it would place the front of the structure in darkness.

It might be interesting to simulate sun on a clear(ish) day, then cast stark shadows across the structure. See what you can to do put at least part of the building in dark shadow, and see what the contrast brings you. Remember that the best pictures aren’t the ones that have good colors or good lines, but which fake lines and colors through the use of contrast.

I have to do better:

[quote=JoOngle]material colors and lightin

[quote=ScooterL]
1.The dome looks like it’s floating slightly above the grass

1. the rope bridge doesn’t have the same technical-style beauty as the
    dome,

2. the lighting is coming from entirely the wrong direction!
    (The light should come from that big shiny thing in the sky, just like in real life Right now it’s coming from the opposite direction that it should.)

any others suggestions?

http://www.kino3d.com/forum/files/fin32.jpg

it looks like the building is flying a little above the ground
maybe trow some sand over it

Really nice picture! Only need something floating in the far side (i.e. birds, planet, dark mist), this would give the background more volumetric.

why does no one ever tell me about the good ones?
So, since i’m waiting for a bake, I do have some comments/crits

Comments: Very nicely done, the arcitechture looks beautiful without being covered in little minute details that hurt my eyes. This rock, the grass, the lighting, all very well done.

Crits: The bridge seems a little ‘off’ compared to the rest of the scene. It doesn’t seem to fit the feel of everything quite right.

XrQLz :wink:

i love the fire! what’d you use?
youve got a good project going

some things to think about:
grass, although darker may still be too green. add some yellow, not all grass is healthy and vibrant at the same time, carefull though not to overdo it. its more like a touch up.

the rope teathered to the stakes in the ground dont apear to be under any strain or holding any weight. shrinking the diameter of the rope at this point and sinking it into the wood a bit could fix this.

Sir Dude is right about the grass on the side, kind of. the grass growing out of the recesses in the rocky side may look better in sparse clumps. the density of the grass is great how it is, just selectively taking some away could add a bit more style. – actually, come to think of it, add some on the left. to break up the pattern of the marble texture, well used btw!

And lastlt, as far as i can see, add some texture to the rocks, otherwise youve really done a great job with this.

congrats!

I really really really like the first one. I reckon it’s pro.
I’m now inspired to make my own :slight_smile:
The second one… not so good. Shouldn’t get rid of the moon. I like it.

I like this picture.

Someone mentioned the feel of the bridge earlier. I would like to add to that, but I also think the scale is a bit off. I think its the wooden posts of both the bridge and the torch that throw my mind off. They all look no larger than a stick you would hold in your hand, but yet the image suggests they are chest-high.

But I like the over-all look of the pic. Nice job!

i’ve completed it:
http://www.kino3d.com/forum/files/dia_strange_dome_fin.jpg