While I’m certainly not new to blender, this is the first work I’ve ever shared here.
It’s a twist on the Daleks from Dr. Who. Yes, that’s right, it’s a Catlek.
I’d like feedback on all apsects of it. Things I’m specifically looking for would be things like how to get the fur on the tail to cover the tip. I’m also curious how to remove the last bit of noise. My GI settings from yafray are here, and as you can see, I’ve cranked yafray to the max. The only thing I can think of is that the noise on the wall was too difficult for yafray to smooth because the ears are emitting light from such a varied texture (They have to talk somehow!).
So, all C&C is welcome. Oh, and if you’re thinking, “That’s an abomination against all that is good and holy!”, well, yes I already know that. But it had to be done.
Actually, I’ve got a whole kettle of ideas for more of a series parody. (the doctor would be a dog and his ship would vaguely resemble a fire hydrant)
You’re spot on with that lighting tip. I’m not normally a fan of fill lights, I’d rather make the lights that are actually supposed to be in the environment, but it helps a lot. I won’t post the test I did (lowest yafray settings), but I’ll put a better one together and post it after it renders tonight.
This is much closer to what I wanted. I was able to fake flourescents with REALLY low power area lights (.003) and an emiting material for the light itself. This is from the blender internal with maxed out AO.
The most important point artistically: the lights may not be technically perfect, but I like the way they look. They give the spooky sci-fi-ish glow I was looking for.