A Watch, simple as that.

this is a watch i got for my engagement, really wanted to blender it.
the hard part was that is not exactly round, took me some time to model is right…

The real one.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/Fruch/real_watch.jpg

The Render and wires.

C&C are wellcome, and help with doing the shader for this one…
i don’t really know how to do the metelic shine right.

You could try to add radial blend texture to the background of the watch.

For better metal, you could crank up the spec and turn the hardness of spec down till it’s fine. You might even want to add a bit of mirrory effect to it.

The model itself looks fine.

Nice model.

Usually, in the clock’s advertisements the time is ten to two.
The hands of the clock should have a litle thickness
I agree BBraw’s comments,and also have to trie with fresnel reflect

:slight_smile:

Some parts look too smooth and curvy compared to the original.

Use creases (shift+e) to make sharper corners.

First off, congrats with the engagement, I wish you and your future wife the best of luck. And…congrats with the watch :).

But I don’t fully agree with yfkar. I don’t think you should stick with the low-poly-high-subsurfaced mesh and start creating a more detailed one.if you stick with this one and use the creases tool, you wouldn’t get the nice effect you would get with a more detailed (as in, higher polied-mesh) mesh. I can see you have some good skills with blender (using advanced modelling tools) but you are sticking with the easy way out with a lowpoly mesh. IMO start with a higher poly one, it will pay off. About the render, it is still boring, sry to say, but I don’t think you should give that your attention…yet. I know it is fun, but I think you should put more time in the modelling and leave the materials and renders as is. And perhaps take a break now and then and go and relax with your future-wife.

Good luck.

Sander

Looks good but I have a question. Are you aiming to make this really accurate? or not? Because, I can make a paintover to show you everything thats off by a bit. Of course, thats if your going for accuracy.

Thx all for the crits.

actully, i modeled all by and eye… not with ref. picture the picture of the watch i took after i finished modeling. I was just practicing my skills in blender.(and yes I noticed that i have more holes on the outer ring, found that after i allmost finished modeling, and didn’t feel like starting again form fresh)

But I don’t fully agree with yfkar. I don’t think you should stick with the low-poly-high-subsurfaced mesh and start creating a more detailed one.if you stick with this one and use the creases tool, you wouldn’t get the nice effect you would get with a more detailed (as in, higher polied-mesh) mesh. I can see you have some good skills with blender (using advanced modelling tools) but you are sticking with the easy way out with a lowpoly mesh. IMO start with a higher poly one, it will pay off. About the render, it is still boring, sry to say, but I don’t think you should give that your attention…yet. I know it is fun, but I think you should put more time in the modelling and leave the materials and renders as is. And perhaps take a break now and then and go and relax with your future-wife.

to your advice, i have taken it a bit forward…

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/Fruch/fake_watch01.jpg

and keep on the C&C, I’ll wellcome a new ideas.

Fruch

Alrighty, for now. Here are the fixes I propose. I have a few others but I can only show so much with paint correctly. If you do those fixes, it will be easier for me to point out the next batch of fixes. By the way, don’t mind the white area in the side of your watch…I made a mistake and couldn’t undo to there so I had to erase =O.

http://img29.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watchpaintover5ci.jpg

The radial effect on the face of the watch needs to be blue. Looking at my fossil, which is almost the same as yours (good watches, fossils), the blend needs to go from dark blue to medium blue.

you are doing really well. but take good notice of the true shape of your watch. you are modelling really well, but you aren’t creating the shape you should if you wish to make your own “fossil”… The peace of metal wich is connected to the first link is really flat, rounded, but flat. I’ve made a drawing to explain my thoughts, I can’t speak english well enough yet :P.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8130/s5ggd1io.jpg
So yours is too plain and thin, it should be a lot thicker and have the shape the shape like your “fossil” has. The render looks already looks a lot better, but I say again, leave it be, spend more time in the modelling, this can be really beautifull, but then it still needs work.

Good luck.

thx all for your crits, i’ll do them when i’ll have some time…

mean while i’m rearranging all my models for display, i’ll open a theard for that too…

Fruch

The radial effect on the face of the watch needs to be blue. Looking at my fossil, which is almost the same as yours (good watches, fossils), the blend needs to go from dark blue to medium blue.

B.S. i myself never heard of fossil, this is my first non digital watch.

Just a thought on textures: Maybe you can find a good map for the metal or something, but to me it still doesn’t look quite right. The real photos have a different look to the metal, and the way it catches the light. Try to emulate this as much as possible. The model itself looks great though. Keep it up.

x