A Way to count grid squares?

Im trying to achieve a pixel perfect low poly model and textures by utilizing the grid as pixels and turning on snapping while using basic shapes to make my model. From there, I translate my model into uv which is also pixel perfect. I’m planning on making alot of models this way and counting each individual grid square will get tedious super fast. Any idea to see the number of grid squares on the y an z axis?

Welcome to BA :slight_smile:

There’s a much easier way to do this:

I know this doesn’t directly answer your question, but seriously, what you’re doing is the hardest possible way to get what you’re looking for

1 Like

Thank you so much for the welcome and reply! :grin:

However I think you’re misinterpreting what im trying to achieve… I guess its my fault for not making it explicitly clear, my apologies.

The style im going for is sort of similiar to the game Quake and in a way Minecraft.

Notice how the vertices are perfectly aligned to the corners of the grid square? I just need to know the number of squares my mesh is taking up.

Which then translates to unwrapping the UV in a pixel perfect fashion.

Ive done all of this manually from counting the grid squares to moving each individual UV island vertices so it matches. I’d like to at the very least, cut the counting from the process as to save my sanity lol.

(Edit: I forgot to mention that I followed a tutorial by a youtuber named MortMort. My process is a more simplified version of said tutorial)

You can make a grid template and put measures on it.

grid.blend (96.9 KB)

I suppose that’ll work for now i guess? I just don’t understand why blender doesn’t have an option to show rulers at the edge of the viewport. Something akin to painting software’s.

Because rulers only work in 2D, if you rotate an object in perspective, the values on the ruler will no longer be accurate

What if it was rotated in orthographic?

If you rotate it only on two dimensions, exactly relative to the view, they’ll still be accurate, but if you rotate even a degree in a third or fourth dimension, they’re no longer accurate. It shouldn’t be too hard to keep an XYZ rotation object locked to two dimensions, but rotating a quaternion (like a bone) while maintaining 2D integrity would be extremely difficult. Still possible, just a fat pain :sweat_smile:

This is assuming that the rulers are static- if the rulers followed the 3D rotation of whatever object you were using, then they would still be accurate, but they’d also be very hard to read

Because that is what the grid is for ? And if Absolute Grid Snap is enabled as @rigoletto has shown (it is also available in UV editor)… the positioning on those is just what you want… 3D/2D-pixel perfect positioning…

I see… Is it really that big of a pain though? Switching to orthographic and using the numpad or gizmo almost always shows the mesh in a perfect 2D view, no? Its how I’m used to modeling things considering my history with a software called Trenchbroom lol

Yes, I understand. That’s not the case however. I just need a bit of info.

Like this!

If you just need it “blocky” maybe try some of the tools specially for that:

Also online and supports blender:
https://web.blockbench.net/

1 Like

No not blocky :joy: just low poly. Like forcing limitations to model the old school way.