AAA Game Company Twilight 22 To Develop BGE Into A Full Production Game Engine

Am I dreaming, an effort by a commercial company to make the BGE a full production game engine capable of current gen. quality games!?:eek:

If this is successful the BGE’s renderer could actually surpass that of Blender’s Internal renderer in quality and features, if that does happen I would be happy if some of that stuff leaks into the Blender Internal renderer for future projects of the Blender Institute like Durian.

while i’m not the one you were asking what makes me very sceptical is it being a shell company for ea games. "This summary of Electronic Arts Research Interactive " ea is all about marketing games, not about making games. they budget cut games to hell, and buy out the competition. then they use the reputation of the developers pre ea to sell the games made under ea. the most used engine last gen was renderware, so ea bought the develpper of renderware. within 2 years it is a dead engine. ea partnered with valve so they can use the source engine. about the only engine ea didn’t own or have partner rights to was unreal, and they licensed that. if you own outright or are partners of 5 major game engines why licens and pay to use one you dont own? i suspect ea is involved just to try to leverage autodesk. when ea gets involved it’s never a good thing.

ea is also very big on exclusive licenses. they dont want to compete, they want to own everything. they got nfl and nascar exclusive licenses to cancle other developers superior products. they tried to take over ubisoft. when ea gets involved it is because their goal is to own it, they dont even like to compete with other developers, they try to buy them out or sue them into oblivion. they are all about exclusives and gaining 100% ownership and control, the oposite of opensource. i would not be suprised to see a pattent infringment suit in the future, with an out of court offer of a buyout to settle.

I hope it will still remain crossplatform then (linux/mac/windows)?

If it is EA then it is at least better them than Activision Blizzard (according to comments on GameSpot)

They look to me they’re a different company with a similar name, I never even heard of this company nonetheless an association with EA games.

Wow this is seriously for real. I thought someone had got confused and thought it was still April 1st.

Isn’t Campbell Barton also in blender dev team? he is listed also to be part of the Entertainment Arts Research team. I don’t care about it’s intentions ,as long as they provide some decent updates :slight_smile: I know that it’s about money at the end of the day, but stil, this is a big plus for BGE, just look at the recent progress. At the end of the day , they will still own the 3d models and lots of software features, but who cares?

cd if you notice the original ost was edited after my complaint about electronic arts. the original version did state plainly electronic arts, that quote was a pure copy and paste. if electronic arts is already trying to hide their involvment, otherwise why the stealth edit rather than explaination, why are they trying to hide it? ea is known for takeovers, for putting pattents and copyrights on everything they touch. this is seeding for a takeover, trying to take blender comercial.

the entertainment arts name is close on purpose. and as i said when electronics arts gets involved it is to own it 100%. they are the autodesk of the gaming industry. actually they aren’t even as good as autodesk, autodesk does actually continue developing they companies they buy out, ea just sells the same product year after year based on the pre ea reputation untill people quit buying then move on to the next takeover. this was no accident, this was step one of making blender a comercial product you’ll have to buy a licens for ea for. and even when you buy ea games their stance is that you didn’t buy the game, you rented permision to play their game and they can revoke your premission at any time for any or no reason without refund. read the ea eula. their software remains their software. your computer become shadred property with ea as long as ea software is on it. you may not modify the ea product in any way. you may not use a retail ea product for any comercial purpose, for that you must buy a comercial licens which for their game engines run over 50k a year. ea makes autodesk seem opensource friendly.

the pre edited post said:
“This summary of Electronic Arts Research Interactive Inc. (“Electronic Arts Research” or the “Company”) in its entirety and all attachments hereto are confidential. Neither the document nor the information contained in the document may be reproduced or disclosed to any person under any circumstances without express, written permission of Electronic Arts Research. By reading the enclosed documents you agree to be bound by the conditions of the Electronic Arts Research Non-Disclosure Agreement. Forward Looking Statements: This document contains or may contain forward-looking statements. These statements include, among others, statements of Electronic Arts Research’s plans, objectives, expectations, and intentions, including forward looking revenue and income projections. These statements involve uncertainty and uncertainties. Actual results may differ significantly from those projected or suggested in this document. Assumptions are made about the market, the competitive environment, and other factors that may impact the outcome of these forward looking statements. Other risks include the ability of Electronic Arts Research to obtain adequate financing, and assumptions about the U.S. Federal, The Uninet Kingdom FSA regulations and other International regulatory processes. Electronic Arts Research does not undertake any obligation to release publicly, any revisions to these forward looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.”

if ea was innocent why edit it? why hide your good deeds?

Just had a thought shouldn’t this news go on the blender nation website seems to me this is the biggest thing to happen to the GE since Yo Frankie/ever.

EA bottom line is very successful company end of story–how they make or don’t make games well is subjective and open to criticism.

Blender is Open Source and you are seeing the future now. This activity is I think, very positive and very nurturing to the community.

As other companies get involved with development of Blender and since it is open source and a community, we can only benefit due to it’s democratic nature.

So say “Thanks, welcome to the neighbourhood, and to those who are already part of the neighbourhood–thanks again.”

• Good Luck

EA can’t buy out the blender foundation unless each and every developer accept’s and even so blender is already out there on the net, hundreds of thousands of people have the blender and the source code (BGE included).

Anyway that is not really important here, since blender uses a copyright agreement which states any modifactions must be made public and use the same license. So EA can’t create some new features and improvements for the BGE then charge people to use them or make people need a license.

This is why no one has bothered blender yet, i’m sure if blender could be bought out it would have been bought out well before now.

I am really excited about this new’s, the fact that BGE will be getting vast improvements and speed increases aswell as working with the 360 controls etc (aswell as running on the 360?). I’ll be watching this as close as 2.5.

Well done to the studio and dev’s for taking this approach of giving back to a comminuty, I for one will definatley purchase a copy of this game, purely to support the studio and the team, although i’m sure it’ll be an amazing game looking at the technical steps that they have already taken.

Hey Everyone,

To clear up some confusion we are not part of EA, Electronic Arts.  Our umbrella company name use to be EAR, Electronic Arts Reseach, but it was changed to Entertainment Arts Research because of the EA made a new division named EAR so it was too close to our company name back when.  Our PR copied the release for the bottom from an old press release and we did not catch it when I posted it.  I have since corrected it.  So to be clear we have no connection with EA, Electronic Arts.  

Also we are planning to go to console but right now we are planning for PC release first.  Not sure if the Wii will be one of the target consoles.  That was an old piece of information someone found somewhere.  I have no idea how old it that other information could be.  

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
Artistic Technical Director
Twilight 22

EDIT: above post clarified, rendered this post false. If the engine get’s to advanced then won’t it not run on older computers?

Okay it may be wierd that he edited his post to say something different, but I saw the pre-edited version and it still didn’t sound like it’s exactly EA, because I’ve never seen that exact abbreviation nor the company Twilight 22 associated with them.

If they try to charge for all the new features then the Blender Institute can charge them for violating the license, plus we have some trusted members and developers who decided to take the job of development.

The branch they’re using was not made by anyone in the company, it would be hard for them to pull a fast one on Blender.

EDIT: Alienkid knew of the post above him, consider the case solved and clarified, as it would sound sincere enough to me.

All the EA hate always makes me laugh.

I worked at Criterion (developers of Renderware), we were bought by EA.

They didn’t kill renderware, it was still available to be a licensed middleware solution.
EA really wanted to keep selling it as a middleware solution,

They thought that the days of technology being an advantage were over and that it’s the strength of content and concept and creating new and original franchises were the key to success

What happened though was that everyone using renderware feared EAs involvement so all the 3rd party customers left in droves… anyone using Renderware dropped it immediately.

Matrix NAN, thanks for the clarification.

This all sounds like great news for Blender and the game engine. I’m excited by the prospects!

…lol. Thanks CD - happens to the best of us.

To further defend the point of MatrixNAN, here is their website
http://www.ea-research.com/newSite07/index.html

It looks pretty legit and doesn’t look a thing like Electronic Arts.

I would like it so that there was an easy to access pre-built updated version of the SVN build because I never can figure out how to build my own. I think it could go to graphicall or either the blender.org homepage.

This is unbeleivable… almost…which also means it’s only slightly believable… I can hardly beleive it.

Wow. :eek:

This is mindblowing news…

Full respect to all involved. Seems like BGE is going to be suitable for a bit more than prototyping in the near future. :wink:

Considering the BGE was pretty much the lonely child of Blender dev until last year, I’m stunned with the progress.

I really am wondering about be compatible with older computers(win2k vintage) though.