AAK! - Re-Rendered 07/21/03

And Another Knot! - New Render. A little better, but not much.

http://hotlink.reblended.com/bgdm/knot_1.jpg

BgDM

now how on earth do i untie that one??? :smiley:

cool stuff there mate! how bout a little less intensity on the lights…

overexposed!

.b

I know! But for the time this took to render, it’s done. I’m not gonna fix it.

It’s weord really. I used the same settings I always use for HDRI and it got way over exposed for some reason.

Oh, well.

BgDM

COOOOOL

/me points to BgDM’s signature :stuck_out_tongue:

Very nice. Like the colors. As for using the same settings you used before but this time it came out overexposed, well in the old days of computers that was said to be caused by cosmic rays, in other words something that comes out unexpected in computers. There is a solution without re-rendering. Use photoshop or gimp to adjust brightness contrast.

Still overall I like it.
Paradox

Well, I just checked my xml file and I did have the Hemi Light set too high. Re-rendering now and will have an updated, and hopefully not so bright image up tomorrow.

BgDM

Very nice, definitely overexposed, actually it is so overexposed I cannot tell if it is pink chrome or pink cristal :o

Are those blue things caustics?

/me waits for second render. BTW how long did it took how many photons (my knot - done with HDRI and NO hemi-light - hence just reflections, and a pointlight with photons (50,000,000 of them) took few minutes, say 10).

False, it is well known that it is the SunSpots effect.

Stefano

Yes they are.

New render posted in original post. As far as render time, I’m not 100% sure as I rendered it over night. It was long though. I think about 5-6 hours render time, if not more. Probably due to the fact that I used the HDRI file for the lighting and reflections. Photons were 50,000 shot, and 49,875 kept in the scene. Could be more probably, but I didn’t change any photon settings.

Could I see your Photon light settings from your render? It would be interesting and I could learn something.

BgDM

Complete XML (well, without meshes :stuck_out_tongue: )

Actually note thet the hemi is commented out, so
there is no HDRI lightning, but the HDRI is still there so reflections
on the glass shows it :slight_smile: (at least I think I cann see it)

Stefano


<!-- Exported with YaBlE.
 For any comment or question refer to [email protected] -->


<scene>

<shader type = "generic" name = "Curve.mat">
	<attributes>
		<color r="0.000000" g="0.100000" b="0.000000" />
		<specular r="0.950000" g="1.000000" b="0.950000" />
		<reflected r="0.900000" g="1.000000" b="0.900000" />
		<reflected2 r="0.900000" g="1.000000" b="0.900000" />
		<transmitted r="0.900000" g="1.000000" b="0.900000" />
		<transmitted2 r="0.000000" g="1.000000" b="0.000000" />
		<hard value = "125.000000"/>
		<IOR value = "1.370000"/>
		<min_refle value = "0.000000"/>
		<fast_fresnel value = "on"/>
	</attributes>
</shader>

<transform
m00 = "0.886487" m01 = "0.462753" m02 = "0.000000" m03 = "0.910362" 
m10 = "-0.462753" m11 = "0.886487" m12 = "0.000000" m13 = "-0.368574" 
m20 = "0.000000" m21 = "0.000000" m22 = "1.000000" m23 = "0.041558" 
m30 = "0.000000" m31 = "0.000000" m32 = "0.000000" m33 = "1.000000" 
>

<object name = "Curve" shader_name = "Curve.mat" caus_IOR = "1.370000" recv_rad = "on" emit_rad ="on" 
	shadow = "on">
	<attributes>
		<caus_tcolor r = "1.00000" g = "1.000000" b = "1.00000"/>
		<caus_rcolor r = "1.00000" g = "1.000000" b = "1.00000" />
	</attributes>
		<mesh    autosmooth = "30.0" > 
		<include file = ".\Meshes\Curve.xml" />
		</mesh>
</object>
</transform>

<shader type = "generic" name = "Plane.mat" recv_rad = "on" >
	<attributes>
		<color r="0.1000000" g="0.1000000" b="0.37" />
		<hard value = "25.000000"/>
		<min_refle value = "0.200000"/>
		<fast_fresnel value = "off"/>
	</attributes>
</shader>

<transform
m00 = "1.000000" m01 = "0.000000" m02 = "0.000000" m03 = "0.000000" 
m10 = "0.000000" m11 = "1.000000" m12 = "0.000000" m13 = "0.000000" 
m20 = "0.000000" m21 = "0.000000" m22 = "1.000000" m23 = "-0.455926" 
m30 = "0.000000" m31 = "0.000000" m32 = "0.000000" m33 = "1.000000" 
>

<object name = "Plane" shader_name = "Plane.mat" >
	<attributes>
	</attributes>
		<mesh>
		<include file = ".\Meshes\Plane.xml" />
		</mesh>
</object>
</transform>

<!--
<light type="hemilight" name="sky" power= "1.500000" samples = "256" use_QMC = "off">
</light>
-->

<light type = "pointlight" name= "Lamp" power= "250.000000" cast_shadows= "on" >
	<from x="9.724132" y="10.324387" z="10.804591" />
	<color r="1.000000" g="1.000000" b="1.000000" />
</light>

<light type= "photonlight" name="Lampcaus" power ="1200.000000" photons ="50000000" depth ="8" search = "50" angle ="30.000000"
 	mode = "caustic" fixedradius = "0.0200000" cluster ="0.002000" use_QMC ="on" >
	<from x="9.724132" y="10.324387" z="10.804591" />
	<to x="0.910362" y="-0.368574" z="0.041558" />
	<color r="1.000000" g="1.000000" b="1.000000" />
</light>

<camera name="Camera" resx="640" resy="480" focal="1.093750" >
	<from x="0.000000" y="-5.128851" z="4.000000" />
	<to x="0.000000" y="-4.362806" z="3.357213" />
	<up x="-0.000000" y="-4.486064" z="4.766045" />
</camera>

<background type = "HDRI" name = "envhdri" exposure_adjust = "1">
	<filename value = ".\probe512.hdr" />
</background>

<render camera_name = "Camera" AA_passes = "2" AA_minsamples = "4" AA_pixelwidth = "1.500000" AA_threshold = "0.040000" 
	raydepth = "8" bias = "0.300000" gamma = "1.000000" exposure = "0.000000" background_name="envhdri" >
	<outfile value="knot.tga"/>

</render>
</scene

Thanks for the code Stefano!

Also, another reason my render probably took so long is that I had my AA samples set to 4.

BgDM

Beware, jandro told me that I often exxaggerate in photon number

Stefano