? about bringing other Blend files to compisite a scene

Hi All,
Thanks for looking in…

I have help from other artists creating Blend files at their end. I need to import them to composite on my end. IF someone would layout>the steps> to import>another blend file>into my scene please.

Thanks
NC

Shift+F1 to append an object / material / node group / particle system etc etc. Or select the scene to bring in everything http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/07/12/tip-appending-and-linking/

Thanks Richard Good link

Pay very close attention to the fundamental … and crucial(!) … difference between import and link.

Usually, what you actually want to do is to “link,” so that there is only one master copy of any asset, no matter how often it is used. Thus, [strike]if[/strike] WHEN a change is necessary, you only need to re-render the files/scenes in which that object occurs. You know that identical data will be used, by reference, in each occurrence, because it’s only coming from a single authoritative source. That’s key.

When you “import,” you now have (as we analyst-geeks like to say …) “two sources of Truth.” Which one is current? Which one is correct? You really never know, and, in any big project, that’s not okay.

Thanks for pointing that out. I realized one is for reference with no edit avail. Link however allows edit and does not affect master.

(More or less…) Exactly. A “link” is an indirect reference: Blender opens the other file and snags the information from it, so to speak, “at runtime.” Every file that links to the same “asset” will always avail itself of an identical, current copy of that asset, without physically copying it.

In any project, really, of any size at all, this becomes extremely important. For instance, say you’ve got a scene where a character is riding a unicycle while he dreams of joining the circus. :wink: That unicycle is going to figure into every shot, into every camera angle that’s going to be cut-together, and so on. Without the capability to link, there would be hundreds or thousands of files that contain that unicycle – and you’d have to keep every one of them perfectly in-sync. But, since you can link, you simply have one blend-file called, say, assets/unicycle.blend. (On a Linux/Unix system, that might be a symbolic link.)

Virtually everything in the Blender system can be “painlessly linked.” This has been a crucial feature of the system since day-one.

Therefore, I strongly suggest, “linking, not-so-much importing,” is a key-competency that you need to know very well before embarking upon a project of any size. Our human eyes are extremely attuned to detecting differences. (To our ancestors, a difference could be “a hungry tiger in the bush.”) The slightest discontinuity between two shots of “the same thing” are instantly obvious. Therefore, that thing had better be “the same thing,” and this is what Linking can do.

Great analogy… I hope reading this does not put me in a nightmare of circus clowns on unicycles… I was using SHIFT 'D" to copy the file and place in another layer.

IGE: I have grid floor in my shuttle transporter room. That same floor needs to be on my bridge. I need that floor in a different layer as to speed render instead as suggested assets still need to be acknowledged, even though they are not in camera view to render.

After reading your input, I think I will go a different route for modeling in the future…

Something along the lines of ~ a folder on my drive with different reusable assets, used over and over through out. Linking them to scenes as desired and then making the scene as needed.

Good tip. Thanks for elaborating. Where I first thought just a SHIFT “D” and another layer. But with yours it would be lighter and swifter through out.