About Gamma Correction in Yafray, GI errors and texture bit bepth.

Okay, I want to know what the thing is with Yafray and needing Gamma Correction to have accurate GI. I really don’t like the fact I have to Gamma correct all the textures I’m going to use in a scene, and mostly because the colors and detail can get washed out rather bad.

I was wondering, also, if commercial renderers need Gamma Correction, too. Like mentalRay or Pixar Renderman or Brazil or whatever. And if the reason that Yafray needs it is because some setting in the Yafray code is wrong or if it’s my mistake.

Thanks a bunch.

news? blender? … seems more like “Composition, Visual Effects & Rendering” to me…

[moved]

Okay, I want to know what the thing is with Yafray and needing Gamma Correction to have accurate GI.

Yafray doesn’t need gamma correction, it is not compulsory, linear workflow is just another technique for improving your renders.

I was wondering, also, if commercial renderers need Gamma Correction, too. Like mentalRay or Pixar Renderman or Brazil or whatever

if you follow the links at the end of the linear workflow tutorial, you’ll will see that gamma correction in shader is implemented in other app, but it is still not implemented in yafray neither in blender.

And if the reason that Yafray needs it is because some setting in the Yafray code is wrong or if it’s my mistake.

You are talking about the linear workflow, not about gamma correction. You can always apply little dosis of gamma correction to your renders, but I suspect you are talking about the linear workflow.

Almost nobody apart from me and maybe somebody else uses that workflow… all the renders you see here in Elysiun don’t use the linear workflow at all and nothings happens, people is just used to work the other way.

In short, you can use the more common non-linear workflow, you can achieve great results using either way