About moved Posts

At the moment when a post gets moved the original post hangs around where it was originally posted, which only benefits the original poster. Maybe you will consider lowering the incentive for people posting in the wrong location. If the post is accidentally in the wrong area - fair enough, mistakes are made - , send a notification to their inbox.

At the moment some sections are almost 1/3 moved posts, defeating some of the purpose of having separate sections.

Appreciate the feedback! Our thoughts for doing this is to as you said to make sure the original poster is aware, but also the followers of the thread and helps to educate the forum that these posts would be better suited for another thread. The redirects should expire after a set period though. :slight_smile:

Which sections are you seeing with that amount of moved threads? Definitely if there are that many, then there needs to be more looked at.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Wes

I find that the General forums (Latest News and Blender and CG Discussions), have the most amount of moved posts. As that area is the forum where most of us go to find news and discussions, sifting through the moved posts makes things a bit messier. A lot of moved posts in the General Forums will also lower the professional quality of the forum.

Just my 2c.

Sam

I find that the General forums (Latest News and Blender and CG Discussions), have the most amount of moved posts. As that area is the forum where most of us go to find news and discussions, sifting through the moved posts makes things a bit messier. A lot of moved posts in the General Forums will also lower the professional quality of the forum.

Just my 2c.

Sam

That’s because they are top of the list and busy forums and where users appear to want to post support questions rather then spend 5 seconds scrolling down the page to post in their correct place. Being a “professional quality forum” also relies on its users to act responsibly. If users post correctly there will be less of these redirects and will benefit both other users and moderators alike.

Users will exploit you until you make it unattractive to post where it doesn’t belong. I think the argument ‘to let other users know where a post has gone to’ is a little bit weak, especially for posts with only 3…or 4 comments.

• For authors of topics in the wrong section: easy to implement notification upon move.
  • For participants in these threads: send them (automated ofcourse…code once, use often) a message that ‘A topic you responded to was moved to <here>’
  • Gracefully remove the ‘moved’ Thread representation.

I know we aren’t perfect, nor would that be desirable…but sometimes those two sections look messier than they need to be, so i agree with Sam.

Also, it’s worth noting that many of those moved post notices are temporary. When I move a post, I set it so the notification only lasts a month. I’ve been considering reducing that time to 2 weeks for high-traffic forums.

I think a “moved” notice that lasts even two weeks is too long.

How about sending a private message as a notification to the thread starter and maybe people who posted in that thread?

And then setting it to maybe two days?

I generally set the moved notification to one week or sometimes three days totally arbritrarily tbh. I figure it should be long enough so someone doesn’t start a new thread because they can’t find the first one.

I agree that something should probably be done about “Blender and CG Discussions” since there’s only a handfull of active threads and a ton of redirects though.