About Preferances's memory cache limit?

I’m curious about how to ballance the preferances’s memory cache limit… Does other parts of blender also use memory or is it the over-all memory limit? As i have 8gb, should i allow 4gb or is it useless to do so and i should leave it as it is?

Memory Caching is used primarily for motion tracking, to store frames of your motion track sequence when you want to preview them, or video editing, when you have an effect that blender needs to figure out what each frame looks like now with that effect. But other parts of blender can take advantage of caching as well. I set mine to two-thirds of my RAM (32GB/3*2) Blender can math, so first I slide it all the way up to max, then at the end of that number i add /3 and then at the end of that number i add *2 to get to two-thirds. But i use blender about 80% more than I use anything else on my computer, so your sweet spot might be different. However it is NEVER advised to keep that number at max, as Blender may use RAM that’s reserved for things like keeping your OS up and running, which would cause blender to crash and/or your computer to suffer some damage.

Sorry for the long reply, Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you very much it answers the question really well = )

Now i am currious about cycles maybe i should make another topic… i am currently testing luxrender but what i search for is any render engine that could optimize editing framerate with shadows… i have a nvidia gtx660 and i’d like to take the full benefits… I seen somewhere that openCL was faster than CUDA to render frames realtime but i’m really unsure if this card model supports it. Right now i get grossly 8 fps while rotating my model with texture display/shade enabled and with blender render… i wish i could get it about realtime and to grossly render the lights realtime much as if i was using a game engine… I’ve seen a lot of demoscene stuff long time ago, these projects used to display complex stories, store modtrack music, use i-don’t-know-what but generic video card effects to display their performances… I guess that using full video card … abilities? could give much better realtime shadow display…

I really want to optimize my working environement = )

Also i wonder how to get rid of pointy triangle or line up edges… can i use vector wireframes? Anything to avoid triangles x) (Please forgive my French) = ) :stuck_out_tongue:

Also i sculpt my models with sculptris, it uses some really great brushes, well ballanced… So that’s what i have a hard time with triangles :stuck_out_tongue:
I wish i could get more out of blender’s 3d navigation… if there ever is a brainstorming session planned i should get in :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey! Just got an idea! Could there be an hybrid render engine using both cuda and CPU to render faster? ^^

Hello! I’m totally new to this and have a hard time understanding how one enters equations into the memory cache of Blender because I am used to entering a standard number in Photoshop’s cache in those preferences.

I have a higher end computer: intel core i7 CPU, X 980, 3.33 GHz, 12 Gigs of RAM, 64 bit operating system. And Blender is the most important program on this computer for me when I’m texturing eyebrows on a model with millions of polys… I only have one graphics editing program open at a time like this. But Blender is slowing down too much for me during the sculpting of a character’s head. (all other body objects are externally linked into the scene and very low poly)

Can anyone recommend a specific number/equation to enter into Blender’s memory cache usage for me? and is that the same memory cache box under/in the sequencer/Clip editor in the System tab of the preferences?

I want to maximize Blender’s usage of my computer memory as much as safely possible. Thank you for any help or tips!