About PreSale Campaigns

How to start, spread and market a Pre-Sale Campaign like BBB and Durian ?

A large part of the reason the Blender Foundation presale campaigns work (from what I gather) is that the the community already wants to support the Foundation’s efforts out of general principle because they know it will further Blender as a program. Add to that, Ton has produced successful projects before, so it is easier to trust the new teams.

Ideally, the Durian website would have a lot more concept art and details on by now, but we started the campaign before the story was finalised - making art for the story a little hard to show. :slight_smile:

So, I would say unless you already have a large following (like the Blender Foundation and the Blender community) the key is to show as much as you can as early as you can that will interest people in the project. This works a lot for me personally with games. The more I know about a game before hand - can see its art, development, trailers, hints at story and characters - the more likely I am to buy it, assuming I like what I see of course.

Also, the Blender projects do gain a lot from the pre-sale campaigns (thanks everyone!) but they are not the sole source of funding. Other sponsors, grants and donations are involved. Basically cast your net as wide as you can or as wide as you think you will need.

Thats the main advice I can give. All the best with it!

Thanks a lot.
I am always curious to know about that meter - is this something auto generated or manually made?

They have a little gnome sitting in the cellar of the Blender institute, pushing a button every time the money drops in the sack (oh, yes - all money is transferred through pneumatic tubes and dropped into a big sack that every now and then is emptied in Ton´s office and replaced with a new one;-)

Indeed. I’ve heard it opined that most artists don’t need truly masterful, extensively polished concept art to dive into 3D. Rather, that level of concept art is aimed at two people, to get them worked up: fans and investors.

That being said, nobody will deny that really good 2D skills (necessary for such concept art) translates heavily into 3D.s

I was shown this article by an aspiring indie game developer. Its written for indie game designers, but I’m sure theres many points in it which are relevant to your question on how to become popular and known.

I think the best idea is to just really enjoy what your doing, and do everything as well as you can, impress people and they will want what your making/selling, plus they will want to support you if they really like what your doing, so keep in mind the audience your aiming for. And of course get plenty of work done first, to show that your capable and well on your way with the project, no ones going to preorder a DVD from someone who shows very little work and only speaks of how great something will be.

Of course the BF is an exception to that, as mentioned above :eyebrowlift: