About the Events test

I’d like to bring a ‘community calendar’ back to the Blender community for things like workshops, user meetups and conferences.

It’s using the Discourse Events plugin. A possible extension, the Locations Plugin, has not been loaded yet as I’d like to only carefully add functionality as needed. If we decide we need locations, then we can always do it later (the biggest advantage of the Locations plugin is that it lets you see events on a map, and I’m not sure this really adds value).

The events plugin adds an Agenda (list of upcoming events) and a Calendar (month view) to the top of the screen (this is only shown when you’re in the #general-forums:events category, I’ll need to add another public widget later).

I enabled the RSVP feature so you can set a maximum number of participants, and show a list of people who plan to come.

Feel free to post some test stuff and let me know if you think this can be used!

1 Like

@FutureHack, @ogbog, @baron, @infin8eye, @soft8soft, @hapit, @cg-cnu, @BlenderPDX, @Rixie I invited you to this private group as you all hosted Blender user meetups over the last 2 years, and I’d like to ask for your help to test a new Community Calendar for Blender Artists.

Please have a try and let me know what you think, and what should be improved/changed before I open this to the public (keep in mind that I’m restricted by what the plugin offers me, so I may or may not be able to do everything).

Thanks!

1 Like

I put together a new Seabug thread to test it out https://blenderartists.org/t/seabug-seattle-blender-user-group-nov-2-2019/1186929

Wonder if Discourse has anything to set up repeating events like with Meetup. I get poked if someone comments, and I poke it when I need to cancel/modify, otherwise it handles on autopilot.

Recurring events are not available yet, but are being discussed: https://thepavilion.io/t/events-recurring-and-or-multiple-events/841

By the way, you missed the ‘add event’ button - give it a try!

Everything seemed good when I posted my event up. I can’t think of anything to add.

Hi Bart - Thanks for the new forum. It will come in handy if WeWork continues to implode and takes meetup.com (their subsidiary) with them. A few Events forum niceties that we may want to think about:

• Polling for event planning
  • Ability to message those who are rsvp’d for the event
  • +1 to adding a location widget allowing input of address (mapping not required)